Gun Safe Sugestions..Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my Wife are in the market to buy a gun safe... we have decided that we can spend about $2000 dollars on the purchase. I don't really know a lot about good safes and I don't know if I trust a salesman to give me the truth as it should. I have done some research myself and I know for a fact that I want a UL listed and Fire rated safe. I have friends that have recommended Bear, and Liberty.

What should I get, Why, should I spend more? The general purpose of course would be to get the collection out of drawers and put somewhere that children can' t get them. As well as proctect from theft and fire. The safe will probably also store some documents and electronics as well as some jewelry.

What do I need to ask the salesmen, and what do I need to look for when I'm shopping?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned this lesson the hard way, buy the biggest safe you can the first time around. I personally have a liberty Fat Boy safe. It does not have all the features that I wanted but did have most including electronic lock, accessory panel (including a document/electronic storage bag), 1hr fire rating, Palusol heat seal, electrical plug in, lights, and enough bolts to make me feel like it is secure. It does not have the most fire protection you can buy, but one hour is a fair rating. Also the safe was for sale locally in Tulsa so I was able to save on shipping. For me ultimate storage capacity, trumped having the safe with the most safety features and longest fireproof rating.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liberty Centurion FatBoy - $1699.00-2,000.00
Liberty Franklin Series - $1,100-2,200.00
Cannon TS7240 Gun Safe - $1,299.00
Browning Medallion Series - $1,800.00-$2,700.00
Rhino Safes
Bear Safes

There are some good options in you price range.

Alternatively you could possibly pick up a "higher-end" safe on the used market if you don't mind waiting for the right deal to come along. I've seen a couple of a great deals here on OSA over the last year or so.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned this lesson the hard way, buy the biggest safe you can the first time around. I personally have a liberty Fat Boy safe. It does not have all the features that I wanted but did have most including electronic lock, accessory panel (including a document/electronic storage bag), 1hr fire rating, Palusol heat seal, electrical plug in, lights, and enough bolts to make me feel like it is secure. It does not have the most fire protection you can buy, but one hour is a fair rating. Also the safe was for sale locally in Tulsa so I was able to save on shipping. For me ultimate storage capacity, trumped having the safe with the most safety features and longest fireproof rating.

What he said.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I like having multiple safes instead of one extremely large. A very common size is 24x32x60. You can put these almost anywhere in your house (bedrooms, closets, etc). A large safe will likely leave you limited on where it goes. Put two this size side by side and bolt together from inside and anchor to floor. AND they'd have to break in to both to get your stuff.

Also consider a key lock over a combination. I have both and prefer the key. Like A.G. English in B.A. explained it on my first safe, a professional can get in to either one but the punk that tries to get in to it will destroy your combination dial with a hammer where you can't get in it either.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you have got to check out bear safes site, they make a great point to choose security over beauty..

www.bearsafes.net

pay attention to the short video after you check out the features

They have 2 or 3 very nice models that are in your price range and although we are the northeast distributor - you are closer to the main factory in OKC and should contact them for delivery

Honeybee

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liberty makes a great safe, bear makes a great safe especially for the money. He can build you one for a particular space too. Want something more, get one that is TL 30 or better rated.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help...me and my wife went to Bear Safes after shopping around and spoke to Eli and he was very helpful and took the time to educate us very well about construction of safes. I think that me and my wife have made the choice to buy a Bear....Thanks for the recommendations OSA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom