Gun vs weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnercop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok gun nuts, I have a question for you. As you may or may not have noticed I work law enforcement and am subject to be in all kinds of weather. I'm having issues with a little rust on my duty weapon. Unlike most officers I carry a 1911 style duty weapon. What can I do to reduce the rust without having to oil my weapon every time I go to work?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leather holster? If so use Ballistol on your gun AND your holster.

If you use a kydex holster Eezox is very good for corrosion protection when used properly, but I'd use a good oil on the rails and other lube points as I'm not sold on it's lubrication properties. Also Johnson's paste wax works well on highly polished steel of any variety.

warnercop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leather holster? If so use Ballistol on your gun AND your holster.

If you use a kydex holster Eezox is very good for corrosion protection when used properly, but I'd use a good oil on the rails and other lube points as I'm not sold on it's lubrication properties. Also Johnson's paste wax works well on highly polished steel of any variety.
I use blackhawk SERPA holster and have the Taurus pt 1911

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd try some ballistol on it. But with a blue finish I'm thinking it's going to need a daily wipe down on the outside. The good thing about ballistol is it's non toxic so you could keep a rag with you in your car or on your dresser for when you get home, it won't hurt rubber, leather or wood and it's a pretty decent lube. Hell, they even use it as a mild antiseptic in Europe. It's one of those miracle products! LOL. But seriously I'm liking it pretty well on my revolvers and milsurp rifles and old shotguns. Ballistol, CLP and Eezox are about the best things out there against corrosion.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Or you could do what I do. I have carried my Glock 17 in everything from an ice storm to downpours and never had an issue. Its carried in a Safariland top gun leather and Ive never had any issues...especially rust. I take it out and shake it off after shift but its one less thing I have to worry about when the weather gets bad.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use blackhawk SERPA holster and have the Taurus pt 1911

Not to diss what you have, but if it's an option I would go to Safariland and one of the "good" polymer guns, Glock, S&W M&P, HK p30, Like Glockcop did.
No matter how often I here guys in classes say "oh my Taurus has never malfunctioned" I've NOT seen ONE ( of any model Taurus makes) go though a two day class and not go down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom