Gun vs weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pulp, that is a very good link. I have first hand experience with running tests just like this from when I was in aerospace and he isn't kidding when he says it's an extreme test. I ran an even worse test in that had a 5% salt solution in the cabinet, but other than that it was basically identical. The one thing that makes me wonder about this link is on the wax specimens. His application of the wax was a little weird and the specimens weren't polished near enough. Wax works well on very highly polished surfaces on the order of sanding with up to 2500 grit (minimum) and then polishing with something like flitz. The surface of those weren't near smooth enough to get an uninterrupted wax film on the surface for protection. But other than that I think he probably did a very good and objective test.

The Eezox results didn't surprise me, it's good stuff for corrosion. But the Ballistol I have to admit did surprise me, it looked just as good! I like that as I've just started using it quite a bit. I guess I'll keep using it since I don't have to worry about it jacking up the finish on the wood of Dad's and Grandad's old shotguns. :thumb:

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a non-polishing car wax by the Turtle Wax company on my Saiga 12 and Mosin Nagant. It isn't any more time-consuming to apply and buff than doing a detail-cleaning, but it's nearly impossible to tell if it's wearing off. I applied it twice on the Nagant, and once on the Saiga. It DOES make cleaning the exterior nothing more than a wipe-down, for a while. The only reason I'm not still doing it is that my current guns don't need it, since they get frequent inspections and cleaning (action shooting use).

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also actually thought most PDs had policies against single-action only pistols.

But as a secondary point, if I were carrying a gun on-duty, I wouldn't carry something I was worried about the finish on. I also wouldn't carry a Taurus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom