Guys with Blackhawk Serpa holsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the Safariland QLS is awesome. With the exception of discovering the Glock pistol almost 21 years ago, I think the QLS is probably the best find I've ever discovered in my LE career.

Now I must warn you, the QLS system puts the holster a little bit outward from the body, so concealment with the QLS in service is challenging. If you are super skinny, it's gonna look kinda silly and print like crazy. If you are fat like me, not so much. I can pull off concealing a full size Glock 22 with the ALS holster on the paddle with the QLS installed with just an open button up shirt over it.

I fell in love with the system when I learned I can take the holster off my duty rig and put it on a paddle for maybe an off-duty application or on a 1.75" belt loop for range duty.

With the QLS system in place, my manual of arms never changes because I am using the same holster with the same ALS retention no matter what attachment I choose.

good to know, if I was using one it would not be for concealed carry. that would be raven or comp-tac

While the Raven's dont have an "active" retention the fit is tight enough that the firearm "clicks" in. Depends if the user is looking for something active because active retention is dictated by management or if active retention is just desired for great retention. I can full sprint and maneuver in a raven and the handgun never even hints at coming out. I dont own one, but will soon after recently trying one out.

active retention is really for those who are concerned about having their gun taken from them...LEOs would be a group that worry about that.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the Raven's dont have an "active" retention the fit is tight enough that the firearm "clicks" in. Depends if the user is looking for something active because active retention is dictated by management or if active retention is just desired for great retention. I can full sprint and maneuver in a raven and the handgun never even hints at coming out. I dont own one, but will soon after recently trying one out.

I personally wouldn't open carry a holster that did not have an active retention feature.

The fact that the holster will keep the gun during aggressive movement is one of my standards for a CONCEALED holster but if someone intends to open carry, I would not risk an open top holster personally.

YMMV.

Michael Brown

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I personally wouldn't open carry a holster that did not have an active retention feature.
The fact that the holster will keep the gun during aggressive movement is one of my standards for a CONCEALED holster but if someone intends to open carry, I would not risk an open top holster personally.

If you aren't willing to risk an open top holster with your H2H skills, I know I sure am not going to!

Thanks for pointing out the ALS series, the sure look nice. I don't plan to open carry much if ever, but I always like having the option in case.

Thanks,

Alan

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

If you aren't willing to risk an open top holster with your H2H skills, I know I sure am not going to!

Thanks for pointing out the ALS series, the sure look nice. I don't plan to open carry much if ever, but I always like having the option in case.

Thanks,

Alan

Not a problem.

One of the real benefits of the ALS is that, as the name implies, it auto-locks the gun without some other action. That is a big deal in real confrontations.

Michael Brown

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a problem.

One of the real benefits of the ALS is that, as the name implies, it auto-locks the gun without some other action. That is a big deal in real confrontations.

Michael Brown

Michael, can you guys use the ALS holster on duty? Or are you forced to use that damned 070 that you gotta put in your fingerprints and social security number before you can draw your pistol. :rolleyes2 I had one once before. Not a big fan. :disappoin Since I've discovered the ALS holsters, I ditched my 6280 and never looked back.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael, can you guys use the ALS holster on duty? Or are you forced to use that damned 070 that you gotta put in your fingerprints and social security number before you can draw your pistol. :rolleyes2 I had one once before. Not a big fan. :disappoin Since I've discovered the ALS holsters, I ditched my 6280 and never looked back.

We have two holsters authorized: The 070 and an ALS/SLS combo holster (Ican't remember the model number).

I use the 070. I much prefer it as a duty holster and find the speed of presentation much faster than the ALS/SLS combo.

The other issue for me is that I don't like the design of the duty shanks now available for Safariland holsters since I spend a large part of my day in a car.

If we were allowed to use an ALS only on duty, I might consider it but we currently don't.

The ALS was what I used on my SWAT rig and I use one in plainclothes however.

Michael Brown

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have two holsters authorized: The 070 and an ALS/SLS combo holster (Ican't remember the model number).

I use the 070. I much prefer it as a duty holster and find the speed of presentation much faster than the ALS/SLS combo.

The other issue for me is that I don't like the design of the duty shanks now available for Safariland holsters since I spend a large part of my day in a car.

If we were allowed to use an ALS only on duty, I might consider it but we currently don't.

The ALS was what I used on my SWAT rig and I use one in plainclothes however.

Michael Brown

I agree. The Safariland UBL rides a little low for me and it's hella stiff and uncomfortable in the cruiser. My current duty holster is the 6377 ALS with the flat, pliable belt loop featuring the 1 inch drop. It's just a tad higher than the UBL, and with the QLS installed, it protrudes outwards about the same, but it features a cant similar to the 070 - not quite an FBI 15%, more like 5 - 7% tilt.

I know the ALS/SLS combo you are talking about. First you rotate the hood then you disengage the ALS. Mega confusing. :scratch:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any place in the OKC metro that sells the ALS Safariland?

Try Spec Ops just north of Reno on Portland, across from the OCFD training facility.

If they don't have 'em, you could always order one from Amazon. That's what I did. You just gotta do a little homework and go to Safariland's website and get a item number to get the holster you want, because Amazon's pics don't always match up to the exact product you are ordering.

Safariland's website will give you the right item number in contingent to the fit and finish of the exact holster you are wanting. Just type that number into Amazon's search bar and it'll come up. More than likely, the pic of the holster will be a different finish than what you want, but as long as the code is correct, you'll be ok and you'll receive the proper holster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom