Guys with Blackhawk Serpa holsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Can you recommend a few that you think are good?

Thanks,

Alan

I believe the Safariland ALS is a milestone when it comes to belt mounted active retention holsters. It is the one I use when I must open carry out of uniform.

It does not conceal particularly well except under a coat but I assume we are talking about open carry after Nov. 1.

The SLS is another good choice but is even less concealable and I don't think it's on par with the ALS. The 0701 is a great concealable retention holster but it has a steep learning curve that requires a pretty big commitment to training.

Michael Brown

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Raven makes an incredible product (I have several) but I don't believe they make an active retention holster.

Their holsters are among the best kydex out there but all the ones I've seen are passive retention holsters.

Michael Brown

they don't at the moment.

I agree though with the ALS that it would require some commitment on the user to practice to the point they can draw their weapon under stress. If I were LEO or worked in a capacity that required and active retention system that would be my choice.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the Safariland ALS series of holsters.

I own two of them. They are both the 6377 model, one for my Glock 22 and one for my Glock 27. They rock! I also use the Safariland QLS system on both of them which allows me to go from duty belt, to belt slide, to paddle, just by squeezing two tabs on the fork and sliding the holster onto the belt attachment of my choosing.

Here's a coupla vids that explains it a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2jfEdyDq0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUoFUoqzKc

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the Safariland ALS series of holsters.

I own two of them. They are both the 6377 model, one for my Glock 22 and one for my Glock 27. They rock! I also use the Safariland QLS system on both of them which allows me to go from duty belt, to belt slide, to paddle, just by squeezing two tabs on the fork and sliding the holster onto the belt attachment of my choosing.

Here's a coupla vids that explains it a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2jfEdyDq0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUoFUoqzKc

thats pretty neat, I didn't know you could do that.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats pretty neat, I didn't know you could do that.

I think the Safariland QLS is awesome. With the exception of discovering the Glock pistol almost 21 years ago, I think the QLS is probably the best find I've ever discovered in my LE career.

Now I must warn you, the QLS system puts the holster a little bit outward from the body, so concealment with the QLS in service is challenging. If you are super skinny, it's gonna look kinda silly and print like crazy. If you are fat like me, not so much. I can pull off concealing a full size Glock 22 with the ALS holster on the paddle with the QLS installed with just an open button up shirt over it.

I fell in love with the system when I learned I can take the holster off my duty rig and put it on a paddle for maybe an off-duty application or on a 1.75" belt loop for range duty.

With the QLS system in place, my manual of arms never changes because I am using the same holster with the same ALS retention no matter what attachment I choose.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the Raven's dont have an "active" retention the fit is tight enough that the firearm "clicks" in. Depends if the user is looking for something active because active retention is dictated by management or if active retention is just desired for great retention. I can full sprint and maneuver in a raven and the handgun never even hints at coming out. I dont own one, but will soon after recently trying one out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom