H4198 and .223 reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some H4198 just to try something different. I prefer to stick with a few different powders I'm familiar with, but thought it might be good to have a few others as backup given the difficulty of getting powder lately. I was wondering if anyone has used this powder for .223 reloads? I've seen it used for real light grain .223 bullets, but not a lot for heavier ones. I found some specs on Hodgdon.com on to reload with the 62 grains. I figure I bought it I might as well use it, has anyone used this with 62-75 grain .223? If so, how did it do?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i load 18.8 grs of 4198 behind a 62gr SS109 and get fantastic results. I'm MOA at 140 yards if I do my part out of a 16" barrel. plenty of gas to cycle the action in the AR, loads pretty well using a Lee auto-disc and case fill is very good. Burns clean and action fouling is very minimal.

I've loaded 20grs behind a 55gr pill, but patterns open up past 50 yards, so I use a different powder when I load that bullet.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i load 18.8 grs of 4198 behind a 62gr SS109 and get fantastic results. I'm MOA at 140 yards if I do my part out of a 16" barrel. plenty of gas to cycle the action in the AR, loads pretty well using a Lee auto-disc and case fill is very good. Burns clean and action fouling is very minimal.

I've loaded 20grs behind a 55gr pill, but patterns open up past 50 yards, so I use a different powder when I load that bullet.

Thanks, that is great to hear. I loaded 18.5 and 19.0 as test rounds. I was looking for something that I could use with my 62 grain plinking rounds. I don't really have a setup that cranks out the rounds, but I was able to make them much faster given that my Hornady Auto dispenser wasn't overcharging with this powder, seemed to meter really well. If I can get similar performance out of 5 grains less than Varget, that is a win-win. It's a few bucks cheaper and 20% less powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom