Had a little luck last week trapping!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got the trapping bug late this year and didn't get any traps out til a week ago.

Went and set some traps on the land that I hunt a lot for predators. Only trapping on the weekends away from home isn't real time efficient! I had one good set that the trap fired but no animal and my dirthole was dug out. I did manage to catch this smiling guy in one of my bobcat sets.

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_opossum.jpg

After the last snow, I had seen some bobcat tracks back behind our house on this ridge so I decided I would try an exposed walkthrough set. This is where the trap is exposed but the pan is made appealing for the cat to step on. I blocked heavily with sticks making the only spot for a cat to step on the pan of the trap. Apparently, I didn't block enough because a few days ago, I found fresh cat tracks on both sides of the trap.

After finding these tracks, I decided I would cover the trap and then set another trap offset and a foot away from the first.

Next evening, success! I had a small female in the original trap. Good pad catch. My first bobcat catch, not real pretty, but I'm not complaining.

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_bobcathome.jpg

Just for fun, here is a far away pic and close up of a dirthole set that I made for coyote and fox.

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_dirthole21911fartheraway.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_dirthole21911.jpg

Then here is a cell phone pic of the exposed set. Later, I buried it and this is the one that connected!

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_photo_2.jpg

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, it was nice seeing it waiting on me!

I haven't decided what I am going to do with her yet. The fur is worth more to me sentimentally than I would get for selling her, since she isn't a real spotty cat.

I am definitely cleaning the skull once I get her skinned out. My mother does some taxidermy so I might do some convincing and get some learning experience out of it by helping.

If I end up not getting it mounted, I will definitely tan it...maybe a rug?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the cat! Nice pics, that's something I've got to start remembering to do, carrying a camera with me when I'm in the field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom