Hand Shake Part 2!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part 2 has surprised me even more! Shows either how gullible/stupid/naive our fellow humans around us! This really has me sadden.

Late last night I went to Re-Post the ad “ #5 on handshake ghosted” on Marketplace on Facebook! It was late and I goofed and put $16500 instead of the correct $65000. I had 193 inquiries about the RV, most had statements to the effect they would come first thing in the morning, they wanted it, a few asked if the price was real, a few asked if I was a scammer but the vast majority believed it! AND had 19 of them offer less than the $16500 **** up price! They lowballed a Nada booked $70k RV that was listed for $16.5k!

If any of the 193 that responded to my **** up and are members here, I just laughed. It really opened up my eyes! I was about 30 in on the 193 responding back about the **** up apologizing , when it dawned on me that was futile and senseless. Killed the ad and wrote it correctly.

We live in a differing time!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part 2 has surprised me even more! Shows either how gullible/stupid/naive our fellow humans around us! This really has me sadden.

Late last night I went to Re-Post the ad “ #5 on handshake ghosted” on Marketplace on Facebook! It was late and I goofed and put $16500 instead of the correct $65000. I had 193 inquiries about the RV, most had statements to the effect they would come first thing in the morning, they wanted it, a few asked if the price was real, a few asked if I was a scammer but the vast majority believed it! AND had 19 of them offer less than the $16500 **** up price! They lowballed a Nada booked $70k RV that was listed for $16.5k!

If any of the 193 that responded to my **** up and are members here, I just laughed. It really opened up my eyes! I was about 30 in on the 193 responding back about the **** up apologizing , when it dawned on me that was futile and senseless. Killed the ad and wrote it correctly.

And sadly, about half of those that responded to your mistakenly priced RV ad, now think that YOU tried to 'Click-bait' them or otherwise pull some sort of SCAM when you relisted it for the actual price you meant to list it for 😠

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had people ask me to drive 4 hrs to deliver an item I was selling for $20
People are idiots for the most part. You just have to come to terms with that to deal with the public.
I'd rather donate it (if it can be) to Goodwill instead of driving for that . . .

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have never believed that sometimes people think if something costs more that it is better
than the same thing costing much less.

I had dozens of TH350 transmissions and decided to rebuild some and sell them.
New BW clutches and seals and new steels. rebuilt converter and front pump and shift kit.
2 year 25,000 mile warranty whichever came last .

Not 1 call and I posted it in the bargain post many decades ago.
My dad said it's too cheap double the price.
I raised my price by 100 bucks and I had to remove the add as I could not keep up with people wanting those transmissions.

I built dozens of 5x12 utility trailers for some spare change and priced them $100 over my cost.
I had bums show up and try to jew me down on them.

I removed the add and waited 2 weeks and put the add back in and for 200 more than my cost.
I got a different customer base.
Suit and tie type guys with new shiny trucks that did not jew me down at all.

Funny how that works.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have never believed that sometimes people think if something costs more that it is better
than the same thing costing much less.

I had dozens of TH350 transmissions and decided to rebuild some and sell them.
New BW clutches and seals and new steels. rebuilt converter and front pump and shift kit.
2 year 25,000 mile warranty whichever came last .

Not 1 call and I posted it in the bargain post many decades ago.
My dad said it's too cheap double the price.
I raised my price by 100 bucks and I had to remove the add as I could not keep up with people wanting those transmissions.

I built dozens of 5x12 utility trailers for some spare change and priced them $100 over my cost.
I had bums show up and try to jew me down on them.

I removed the add and waited 2 weeks and put the add back in and for 200 more than my cost.
I got a different customer base.
Suit and tie type guys with new shiny trucks that did not jew me down at all.

Funny how that works.
Ha!

We had a couch out on the street with a sign free to good home

No one wanted it

I got tired of that and changed the sign to $500. It was gone overnight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My one and only excursion to FB Market place was to get rid of a lawn tractor that had a bad exhaust valve. It would backfire every time when shutting off and would finally foul the plug requiring a cleaning. Didn't have much power.
I HATE selling stuff, so just put it down on our country road and put an ad in messenger that it was free for the taking. Come get it, do not email, do not ask if still available, do not assume it is still there an hour after this post, and 6 months later was still getting is this still available notifications after deleting my FB account.
One more reason fake book sucks.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a crazy world for sure. All of the good things in life seem to be missing now, morals, ethics, doing the right thing, handshake deals, sportsmanship, your word is your bond, all gone. Especially with younger people. I've been working FB quite a bit lately, and I am amazed at the amount of scams. Some of it is fairly elaborate, people put entire profiles together with fake pictures of themselves with their families, and then you can rack up a thousand fake friends in no time, and just wait till AI kicks in, you can't believe anything. And the language now, the jibberish some of these people put out is not even close to being understandable. You can reply to ads all you want, and they have no sense of obligation to reply back. There is nothing on the other end, just anonymity, that's what fuels it all, once you send that cash app, they do a few clicks, and they are gone. When they ask for a cash app, it's over, just say thanks, but no. FB does nothing to control anything, ebay and gunbroker try a little bit. I'm kinda at the point where I have to hold it in my hand, and then I pull out the cash, and I'm always armed.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't feel bad in posting an ad such as that with errors, I make mistakes to the point maybe I'm dyslexic. I just need to be more careful and proofread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom