Has anybody installed a magazine extension on a Remington 870?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen some vids of people drilling them out. The argument is that it lets dirt and grit into the tube. I get that but how much can actually get in there with basic use?
I've used mine pretty hard for a few decades now. I just put the extension on for hog hunting. When I removed the retainer and spring, both were rusty and the tube had a coating of junk in it. I wasn't worried about the holes letting anything in at that point.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen some vids of people drilling them out. The argument is that it lets dirt and grit into the tube. I get that but how much can actually get in there with basic use?
There’s a much bigger hole in that tube than those two little ones if you drill. It’s the hole you stuff shells in 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen those videos as well. I’m not sure. I assume if it is a house gun, or a range gun it wouldn’t get that much gunk in it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d drill the dimples out. The holes will be covered by the barrel band. There is the possibility of damaging the magazine tube using the other methods of trying to raise the dimples.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took mine to gunsmith, after looking at the DIY methods it just seemed easier. One issue that was raised are the burrs from drilling out the dents, if there are any burrs the spring will catch causing a functioning problem. Given that, the burrs have to be removed. Not as simple as just drilling a hole. Dunno, maybe just me but taking it to gunsmith was easier.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they were originally part of a limited run of some PC nonsense to discourage use of extended tubes???
I made a simple tool that seems to work well raising them out. You're welcome to use it.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt give $35 for one either. Theyre too easy to make.
Since detents are 180 deg. opposed to each other, after cutting a gradual taper to swage them out, I cut a keyway for clearance so I wasnt trying to raise both at the same time. Works good.
Ive heard of using sockets to achieve basically the same thing but never tried it. If you DIY, keep us posted on how it goes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom