HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok I just called the Governess office and it seems the old girl is taking a poll. No **** you heard right, the lady taking the phone calls said she is marking done the number of for it or agin it calls she is getting. Which in short is a poll. The Govenor wants to get a feel for the popularity of this bill. It didn't help our cause when the T.V. stations run stories that claim that 5 county sheriffs are for it and 38 are absolutely againt it and the rest couldn't decide or didn't comment. Sigh, so as someone said earlier in this thread the governor is playing political ball with this bill and if it is to be passed then we the people need to speak up about it and let our choices be known. What the hell do they not understand about the second admendment??? I have already made my opinion known have you??? Her number is 405-521-2342 how bout you give 'em a shout!!! Politicians pics me off!!!

Well nothing is easy anymore, the reason SB1733 didn't get sent to her office until yesterday afternoon was because they were adjourned Friday, and the bill had not been transmitted to her office. I thought okay, now it would be signed. But now our Governor wants to run a poll for some reason. I also heard it would be signed this Saturday. I thought after 5 days it would automatically become law unless it's vetoed. Okay more calling and emailing.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well nothing is easy anymore, the reason SB1733 didn't get sent to her office until yesterday afternoon was because they were adjourned Friday, and the bill had not been transmitted to her office. I thought okay, now it would be signed. But now our Governor wants to run a poll for some reason. I also heard it would be signed this Saturday. I thought after 5 days it would automatically become law unless it's vetoed. Okay more calling and emailing.
I just called this number and ask when the Governor was going to sign this open carry bill......the response was...She just signed it ...hooray for us I told the sec

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Press Release

Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Governor Fallin Signs ‘Open Carry’ Legislation into Law

OKLAHOMA CITY – Governor Mary Fallin today signed into law Senate Bill 1733, a measure that allows Oklahoma citizens to openly carry firearms. The bill permits those who are licensed, or already have been licensed, to carry a firearm under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act to openly carry a weapon or conceal it. It also allows property owners to openly carry a firearm on their property without a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self defense.

To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, applicants must take a firearms safety and training course and submit to a background check by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors may not receive a handgun license.

With Governor Fallin’s signature on SB 1733, Oklahoma becomes the 25th state with either “permissive open carry” laws (no permit required) or “licensed open carry” (permit required). Oklahoma now joins Utah, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Hawaii and Massachusetts as a “licensed open carry” state.

“As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner myself, I’m happy to sign this bill into law and grant law-abiding citizens the ability to openly carry firearms,” Fallin said. “Senate Bill 1733 sends a strong message that Oklahoma values the rights of its citizens to defend themselves, their family and their property. It does so in a responsible way, by requiring those citizens who choose to ‘open carry’ to undergo both firearms training and a background check.”

Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.

The bill was sponsored by Senator Anthony Sykes and Representative Jeff Hickman.

“I want to thank Senator Sykes and Representative Hickman, as well as the entire Legislature, for their commitment to protecting the Second Amendment rights of Oklahomans,” Fallin said.

saltydawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? They do listen!! Power to the people and of the people. Now with that being said I will not change my style of carry, but it affords me some protection against morons and liberal do gooders accidentally seeing my firearm and causing trouble for law abiding productive citizens. Cheers to all of you.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? They do listen!! Power to the people and of the people. Now with that being said I will not change my style of carry, but it affords me some protection against morons and liberal do gooders accidentally seeing my firearm and causing trouble for law abiding productive citizens. Cheers to all of you.
This...... and Cheers

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Businesses may continue to prohibit firearms to be carried on their premises. SB 1733 prohibits carrying firearms on properties owned or leased by the city, state or federal government, at corrections facilities, in schools or college campuses, liquor stores and at sports arenas during sporting events.
This appears to be inaccurate. 21 O.S. 1272 will continue to forbid possession of a firearm where alcohol is sold for consumption, but I don't see anything in the original statute or in the amendment to address liquor stores. Further, §1290 appears to still allow carrying pursuant to an SDA permit where alcohol is sold for consumption, but is not the primary purpose of the business, and as long as the person carrying isn't drinking. If anybody sees something different, please let me know what I've missed.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This appears to be inaccurate. 21 O.S. 1272 will continue to forbid possession of a firearm where alcohol is sold for consumption, but I don't see anything in the original statute or in the amendment to address liquor stores. Further, §1290 appears to still allow carrying pursuant to an SDA permit where alcohol is sold for consumption, but is not the primary purpose of the business, and as long as the person carrying isn't drinking. If anybody sees something different, please let me know what I've missed.

You are correct. Because the title of the portion of law that deals with punishment of carrying where liquor is consumed is contains the phrase "Liquor Establishment" people believe that to be a store as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom