Headin to Colorado for some elk!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the area you will be in but if you can drive around any, cover a lot of roads and look for tracks and scat. There are thousands of acres there and the elk are there but not everywhere. You have to find the pockets that they are in and hunt there or you will spend a lot of fruitless days just wandering around and not seeing any elk. If you can not drive, just try to find a trail and cover a lot of ground. You need to be in position to glass while it is still dark so that you can see the meadows when it just starts to get light. They move out of the open areas very early and if you are late, you might not ever know they are there. Hunt early and stay out late. Once you find some elk, then you start hunting them. You don't have to worry too much about making noise cause they make a ton of noise moving around and that doesn't bother them too much as long as it is just natural noise like rocks moving and trees cracking but don't make noises like plastic or metal rubbing on something. Cover lots of ground fast till you find some elk and then slow down and hunt. Hope you get one and have a lot of fun. Colorado is beautiful country.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got Elk?.......Yes!!!
....hmmmm, well here goes....my :twocents:
1. Don't hunt elk like whitetail, they are less territorial than deer. Their territory is the mountains. As mentioned already, move till you find them.
2. Don't expect a picture-post card bull to show up or one of the hunting-show bulls to come running to your calls. Shoot the first legal elk you can. You may not get another chance. I am sure your whitetail bucks were not all 150 class animals.
3. Make sure that you can get the animal out, don't kill it unless you have the means and grit to get the meat out. Bone the animal, don't pack out quarters with leg bones that you will throw away at camp.
Here's how we do it: Remove head (and cape if mounting), remove legs at knee joints, slice hide down back from head to tail, peel hide towards belly and lay on ground, remove shoulders and hind quarters and place on hide, while one is boneing quarters the other can remove back straps, rib meat and tinderloins, put all meat on meat sacks or trash bags, roll over the elk, peel hide as above, remove quarters, debone, etc. Do not gut, it is not necessary. Take the animal apart at the joints. I also use this method to clean squirrels.
4. If you jump an elk and they don't wind you....immediately cow call. They might just think you are another elk and stop, they will be looking for the lead cow to follow out.
5. Elk don't get nervous or have a short attention span like whitetail, they can stand still and stare you down for many minutes.
6. Don't over do it in the altitude, give yourself time to adjust. If you get a sudden headache it is best to sit down. Altitude sickness (lack of oxygen) causes swelling of the brain and can kill you.
7. There are 5 directions in the mountains: N, S, E, W, and UP! You will always be goining up, or so it seems. It is easier to go around at times than down and then back up.
8. Layer synthetics of course and if you get cold while sitting .....just turn and walk a few yards up hill and you will warm up quickly.
9. It is arrid out there, stay hydrated. Lip balm and hand lotion (scent free) are good to have.
10. Don't skimp on arrows, broadheads, boots, binos, rain gear, camera, etc. Skimp if you have to in other areas, you are going too far and spending too much money and effort for a cheap piece of equipment to fail or make you miserable and ruin your hunt.
11. Avoid heavy meals of meat, eat a lot of energy food, pasta, potatoes, pancakes, etc.
12. Take sleeping pills and ear plugs, the alitude can affect your ability to sleep and so can your hunting buddy.

This may be the first year I don't elk hunt in 12-13 yrs, going to chase caribou for a change. I might make it back with enough vacation time to go out for 2-3 days.
Good luck, enjoy every moment in the mountians, listen to the rustle of the aspen leaves and breath deep their sweet scent in the crisp morning air...gotta love it.
Elk-0-Holic Charley

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where can a guy find information about the public area? license fee? once found can i just go up and buy a ticket or is there a draw system?

thanks, never hunted out of OK.

m.rehme

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Redmule454 pretty much summed it up, I usually take a couple ibuprofen before retiring. A GPS is good to have but a person needs to carry a compass and know how to use it.
I have been carrying biodegradable handy wipes (Found them at Wallyworld).
A cow call is very important in my books.
It's going to be pretty warm during the days be prepared to get the meat cooled down.
Be safe!
Mark

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sprained my knee on day 3 of my 5 day hunt in Chama, NM last year. Had an ace wrap in the truck which helped greatly. First aid things like that (ace bandage, tylenol, ice bag) helped me keep hunting. I would take a pair of knee pads if I get to go again. 4 out of 5 times we set up, I was on my knees. Trying to stay still while kneeling on a stick or rock for 10-15 min. is a booger.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome place to be...I hunted unit 70 mostly when I lived there, east of Basin, south of Redvale. Some great country we always had success in. Lone Cone is a cool spot, maybe too far south for a day trip.

Pick up a Primos Hoochie Mama, and Primos pack bugle or regular bugle - only two calls you need, best we've found. Easy to use and master. Be sure to practice and never stop mid-bugle if you think you've messed up. That will send them running as much as if they were to wind you. Get 'em mad at your bugles - I don't think you can bugle too much during that time of the year. Get as far off of the road as you can, but keep in mind you might have to pack one out the same way. Cow call as you walk quietly through the timber, but don't worry about snapping a twig, elk aren't too graceful and do it all the time. It's the unnatural sounds in the forest that will scatter a herd.

I'm headed out for 3rd rifle, hunting 25 and 26. Hoping for some snow to get them down...Good Luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom