Heads up...a couple interesting 91/30's at Big Boy's in Mustang.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured that I'd give a heads up to anyone that might be looking to add another Mosin to their collection. Big Boys has the following rifles out on their rack with the rest of their 91/30's.

1944 Izhevsk ex-sniper. Has scope serial number, plugged mount holes on receiver, and arsenal repaired stock where the mount cut out would have previously been.

1925 Tula ex-dragoon "5 line" marked barrel. Stock has screw in escutcheons, metal has wear and does not look to have been refinished during the last refurb, numbers and the font of the numbers all match (no restamps during refurb).

Both are $179.99 each. The Tula is mis-marked as the rest of the hex receivers are $219.99. There were also a couple MO marked rifles...one of which was a double date.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to see a lot of those as they were getting logged in. I am glad I sold all my Nagants a while back as I would have added more than a few to the closet if not. I kinda lost interest when they started putting bill board advertisements on them. The good times were when I had double and triple dated MO's, a couple snipers, mo M38 and M44, 91/38 and 91/59, 91's (Peter the Great was my fav), Austrian marked 91, Finn's of all types from 91 through 39's including a 38 Capture...........................more than I want to remember letting go.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to see a lot of those as they were getting logged in. I am glad I sold all my Nagants a while back as I would have added more than a few to the closet if not. I kinda lost interest when they started putting bill board advertisements on them. The good times were when I had double and triple dated MO's, a couple snipers, mo M38 and M44, 91/38 and 91/59, 91's (Peter the Great was my fav), Austrian marked 91, Finn's of all types from 91 through 39's including a 38 Capture...........................more than I want to remember letting go.

I too shed all the M-N's (and other 7.62x54R firearms) from my collection a year or two back, after I'd acquired quite a few Mosins. I agree regarding the impressive intricacy of the "Imperial Arsenal of Peter The Great" markings and how the billboard markings have ruined the appearance of these rifles. The best billboard I ever saw on a M-N receiver was a tiny, two-line marking on the edge of the receiver cut-out, positioned such that it was hidden underneath the bolt when the latter was closed. That was the last M-N I sold, IIRC.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In reality, I don't buy any russian rifle unless it is a finn capture. I have 2 M39's and 1 91/30 All of them are tack drivers

Every one of the non finn capture rifles won't shoot a group even with reloaded ammo. Some are really pretty but I don't own a wall hanger for long.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In reality, I don't buy any russian rifle unless it is a finn capture. I have 2 M39's and 1 91/30 All of them are tack drivers

Every one of the non finn capture rifles won't shoot a group even with reloaded ammo. Some are really pretty but I don't own a wall hanger for long.

I'm sure someone like MoBoost could probably post some groups and match scores that would probably argue against that sentiment. There are plenty of non-Finned rifles that are perfectly accurate. Even if that was the case I think you're missing the point of owning these rifles. You shouldn't really expect an MOA rifle out a something that was churned out in the millions by a relatively unskilled labor force for an army that wasn't needing anything more than reliability and minute of man accuracy. A Finn built rifle will typically be more accurate, but saying that a captured 91/30 is more accurate that a non-captured rifle doesn't really hold much water. Most of the captured rifles have minimal alterations (if any) like barleycorn front sights, two piece stocks, stock shims, and pine tar finishes. Other than the shims and the occasional Finn modified trigger there aren't any alterations that will greatly improve accuracy on a capture. I might even argue that most of the 91/30 captures that I have seen in person might actually be below average shooters as most of them saw plenty of service and have fairly worn barrels. I honestly prefer the Finned rifles too, but mostly because they haven't gone through Ivan's refurb process and still retain some sort of personality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom