Heads up gasoline users............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gasoline is only .05 per gallon higher in California... Riiiightt!

THe Dems want gas prices equivalent to Europe and have for a long time. We will be a third world country by the time they are done fixing the US.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tell you what, they up the price of gas, there's going to be more theft. I used to use a lock cap but quit because of the hassel. Then for the first time ever, someone siphoned 1/2 a tank of gas from my truck while I was at the lake overnight, this week. So now I'm using my gas lock cap again. I thought it was odd that my gas gauge only read 1/2 a tank, because when I parked the vehicle it read nearly full. When I checked the gas cap, it was not tightened, it had been placed back on loosely and not tightened into place. Although Ive heard about this happening before, I didn't think it would happen to me. But it sure did.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah gas prices suck but we have to start making changes at some point before its too late instead of passing the ever growing problem onto the next generation. I'm not saying this is the case here, I don't know enough about it to make that call, neither does 90% of the population. As for a 9 cent increase in gas prices how is that worse than oil companies indiscriminately raising prices to pad their wallets? Consider the price of gas 15 years ago, I remember the panic when a false rumor spread that gas might actually hit $2/ gallon. People left work early and there were lines at every station where I lived. People couldn't comprehend a world where gas could be $2/gallon. However, here we are. How much did your last tank cost? I know mine was unbelievable. What has changed in 15 years that we aren't freaking out over the current price or that we can justify the difference in price? Nothing...absolutely nothing. The oil companies are just highly skilled in making the public do what it wants, which is pay more. Certainly there are more cars using more fuel but capacity of refining has also increased, new technologies for retrieving huge amounts of oil from the sand fields, many more offshore pumping rigs. The price should be lower but, hey, since most people just accept it without questioning it why not take advantage of them? That's the oil companies mission statement...prices go up, the people pay, the oil companies post record profits and everyone is now paying attention, time passes and the cycle repeats.

Don't think the government is the head of the crime ring here, these "energy" companies are more corrupt, evil and powerful in many respects than any administration the world has ever seen. All those fluffy commercials that tell you about how they are working to make the world better? They mean it! But it's their world not yours they are talking about. If Americans aren't willing to take on the oil companies there's no point in taking on anything else because they are the root of the problem in America and beyond.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And we're off only 17 posts in! ***sigh

The total number of U.S. refineries has been significantly reduced since 1980. Approximately half of the U.S. refineries have closed since then; in 2009 there, there were 141 operational refineries in United States. The last major refinery built in the United States was in 1976. (Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration)

Despite the precipitous drop in the number of refineries operating in the United States, domestic refining capacity has not declined by an equal percentage. Increases in facility size and improvements in efficiencies has offset much of the lost physical capacity of the industry. In 1982 (the earliest data provided), the United States operate 301 refineries with a combined capacity of 17.889 million barrels of crude oil each calendar day. In 2009, the nation operated 141 refineries with a combined capacity of 17.671 million barrels per calendar day. This translates into a per facility capacity increase of 111%, from 59,431 barrels per day to 125,326 barrels per day. (Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration)

The gross margin (or markup) on gasoline in 2009 was 13.1 cents/gallon, or 5.6 percent. (Source: OPIS)

NACS estimates that retailer expenses, including credit card fees, make up 12 to 13 cents per gallon, meaning that retailers with gross margins of 13 cents per gallon likely averaged a penny or less in profit per gallon in 2009.

In 2008, retailers experienced record gross margins – 18.1 cents per gallon. This is because retailers generally make more money when prices fall and often lose money when they rise. In 2008, prices rose about $1.00 per gallon (from $3.109 per gallon on January 7 to $4.114 on July 7), and then fell $2.50 per gallon ($4.114 per gallon on July 7 to $1.613 on December 29). (Sources: OPIS, U.S. Energy Information Administration)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah gas prices suck but we have to start making changes at some point before its too late instead of passing the ever growing problem onto the next generation. I'm not saying this is the case here, I don't know enough about it to make that call, neither does 90% of the population. As for a 9 cent increase in gas prices how is that worse than oil companies indiscriminately raising prices to pad their wallets? Consider the price of gas 15 years ago, I remember the panic when a false rumor spread that gas might actually hit $2/ gallon. People left work early and there were lines at every station where I lived. People couldn't comprehend a world where gas could be $2/gallon. However, here we are. How much did your last tank cost? I know mine was unbelievable. What has changed in 15 years that we aren't freaking out over the current price or that we can justify the difference in price? Nothing...absolutely nothing. The oil companies are just highly skilled in making the public do what it wants, which is pay more. Certainly there are more cars using more fuel but capacity of refining has also increased, new technologies for retrieving huge amounts of oil from the sand fields, many more offshore pumping rigs. The price should be lower but, hey, since most people just accept it without questioning it why not take advantage of them? That's the oil companies mission statement...prices go up, the people pay, the oil companies post record profits and everyone is now paying attention, time passes and the cycle repeats.

Don't think the government is the head of the crime ring here, these "energy" companies are more corrupt, evil and powerful in many respects than any administration the world has ever seen. All those fluffy commercials that tell you about how they are working to make the world better? They mean it! But it's their world not yours they are talking about. If Americans aren't willing to take on the oil companies there's no point in taking on anything else because they are the root of the problem in America and beyond.

Only problem is, the GW problem has been greatly exaggerated and the "solutions" have made things worse. Even climate scientist are starting to notice as are many former believers.

But some scientists are arguing that man-made climate change is not quite so bad a threat as it appeared to be a few years ago. They point to various reasons for thinking that the planet’s “climate sensitivity”-the amount of warming that can be expected for a doubling in the carbon-dioxide level-may not be as high as was previously thought. The most obvious reason is that, despite a marked warming over the course of the 20th century, temperatures have not really risen over the past ten years.

Bad climate policies, such as backing renewable energy with no thought for the cost, or insisting on biofuels despite the damage they do, are bad whatever the climate’s sensitivity to greenhouse gases. Good policies-strategies for adapting to higher sea levels and changing weather patterns, investment in agricultural resilience, research into fossil-fuel-free ways of generating and storing energy-are wise precautions even in a world where sensitivity is low.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...e-slowly-scientists-thought-world-still-needs

Latest posts

Top Bottom