health insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I can't read this stuff without commenting. I feel for you. I'm retired and on Medicare. I also carry Supplemental. The overall cost is tough to bear, but it is inconsequential to what some of ya'll are being subjected to. I know I'm talking to the choir now when I say we, as a nation, are facing a crisis in the medical area. If Clinton hadn't been defeated, I truly believe the system was doomed to collapse.

It may still happen. It's hard to turn a ship this size. The government has to get it's act together and medical, insurance and pharma have got to come together. The likelihood of this is slim, but maybe a heavy hand on the wheel is what's needed.

Good luck to us all.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
62. fairly healthy. This is a retirement plan from my wife's old company. This does have vision and dental. Once we get off there is no going back on it. I think we will just drop the higher coverage and raise the deductible. Monthly is $1745. The other plan is $1125.

I can't fathom even considering paying $1745 every month. I'm dropping mine and it's only $871. If they let me keep the dental I may do that, as it's only $26 a month. But they can shove that health coverage where the sun don't shine.

Look into a health sharing account. That's what I'm doing. I'm 54 and it's $199 a month. Whatever Trump gets done is going to take some time. So I'm going this route for at least a year, I'll review again after they get something on the books.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We "finalized" our health insurance for 2017 Wednesday afternoon. Changed plans, of course, so the premium only went up 16% instead of 76%. The coverage went down, but it was gonna' go down regardless of what I did. Had a very interesting conversation with our agent about what is happening and why. IF we were eligible for Medicare at this point in time, he told us he could get us a supplement for $290 a month to cover both of us that would take care of EVERYTHING that Medicare did not.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any supplements that cover more than one person. These are, I thought, designed to supplement Medicare, which is applicable to only an individual. Nothing preventing a husband and wife, both on Medicare, from having the same plan separately, with the total being $290. But, I could be wrong.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any supplements that cover more than one person. These are, I thought, designed to supplement Medicare, which is applicable to only an individual. Nothing preventing a husband and wife, both on Medicare, from having the same plan separately, with the total being $290. But, I could be wrong.

That's what it is, separate policies with... likely... a household discount. I used to broker health and benefits for small businesses, groups and individuals.

To those getting on Medicare get a Plan F, or Plan G supplemental. Plan G will likely go up less quickly over the years. You pay a deductible but you typically come out better as their insurance pools don't get hit as hard. It really doesn't matter what company you use, you're only shopping price. A plan F or G is mandated by law in terms of coverage and since they are secondary to medicare, they HAVE to pay any medicare approved claim. Otherwise they get booted from the insurance pool.

If someone comes at you with a medicare advantage plan then run away. Can't tell you how many lives that crap has ruined, it should be illegal IMO.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into a health sharing account. That's what I'm doing. I'm 54 and it's $199 a month. Whatever Trump gets done is going to take some time. So I'm going this route for at least a year, I'll review again after they get something on the books.

Are there any of these health sharing accounts that aren't religion based? I don't have an issue with religion based businesses, however I'm not religious and basically not up to their requirements as far as that goes. Also, the religious health sharing accounts that I've seen won't accept you if you smoke (my wife does, I don't) and don't cover mental health issues (from what I have been able to ascertain).

I work for myself and my wife is transitioning to a new career, what these companies are wanting for individual insurance is just insane and I don't see how anyone can afford them.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what it is, separate policies with... likely... a household discount. I used to broker health and benefits for small businesses, groups and individuals.

To those getting on Medicare get a Plan F, or Plan G supplemental. Plan G will likely go up less quickly over the years. You pay a deductible but you typically come out better as their insurance pools don't get hit as hard. It really doesn't matter what company you use, you're only shopping price. A plan F or G is mandated by law in terms of coverage and since they are secondary to medicare, they HAVE to pay any medicare approved claim. Otherwise they get booted from the insurance pool.

If someone comes at you with a medicare advantage plan then run away. Can't tell you how many lives that crap has ruined, it should be illegal IMO.

I went with N. I researched the Excess Charge and found that it really didn't come into play for my providers over a long period of time. Figured there was not a great risk.

I agree on the Medicare Advantage. Too many pitfalls to suit me. Also, some of my providers weren't in-network.

I know some folks my age who would be totally confused trying to make this decision. There should be some fee-only advisors (not salespersons) who could help such folks make these decisions.

But, we're hijacking a very important thread. Obamacare is the pits and I hope Trump puts together a coalition which will solve this issue, or at least greatly mitigate it. It will be a daunting task. The silver lining may be that Obamacare may have forced our hand into doing something that wouldn't have been done without this great big kick in the ass.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any of these health sharing accounts that aren't religion based? I don't have an issue with religion based businesses, however I'm not religious and basically not up to their requirements as far as that goes. Also, the religious health sharing accounts that I've seen won't accept you if you smoke (my wife does, I don't) and don't cover mental health issues (from what I have been able to ascertain).

I work for myself and my wife is transitioning to a new career, what these companies are wanting for individual insurance is just insane and I don't see how anyone can afford them.

All of them are 501c3 non profits and are religious groups, at least the ones I've seen. I went with Liberty which is Mennonite based and quite frankly, their requirements seem right in line with true conservatives. They aren't making you go to church or anything, just share their values is the biggest part of it from what I can tell. It's true they won't cover tobacco users but I'm not sure that's religious based, I suspect it's more of a cost control requirement. They evidently will allow alcohol users into the group as they had multiple choices on their app.

There are downsides and it won't be for everyone, but it's drastically cheaper than traditional coverage. I'm also buying my own coverage and self employed. It's enough savings that I'll try it for a year, see how it goes and bank the $650 per month it saves me.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We decided to get out of the regular 'insurance' scheme when O-dumb-ass-don't-Care took over. We joined Christian Healthcare Ministries, www.chministries.org. We pay $150 month each for their GOLD level plan, (2 of us = $300/mo.) It's a lot better than paying a 'penalty'. Until they learn how to spend my money, the more I can keep away from the gov't - the better. Taxation Is Theft!

It's been $300/month since we joined & hasn't gone up! We also joined what they call 'Brother's Keeper' which cost me about $25 each per quarter. Not a bank breaker. It's not for everyone, but is GREAT for us. If you are someone that goes to the doctor every time you sniffle or cough...well, that's just stupid and you are who insurance companies were designed for. You need to take responsibility for your own health. I quit smoking 11/06/2013 after 33 yrs & try to eat right & take care of my now 55 yr old body. We do not take medication, we eat organic as much as earthly possible & removed all toxic chemicals from our home. People don't realize that all the processed food, synthetic, lab-made medications & poison laden soaps, shampoos, lotions and cleaning products are what's killing us & making us sick.

A couple of years ago, my wife was bitten by a rattlesnake. (Fang holes were 1-1/8" apart. Definitely a rather large snake!) She was taken to the hospital, where she received 2 doses of the anti-venom - at $10,000 per dose. After one night in ICU & 2 days in a regular room, the total bill from Integris came to over $38,000. Since we have no insurance and are classified as "self-pay", the hospital immediately knocked off $20,000! (Obviously, one reason insurance costs are so outrageously stupid!) This brought my responsibility to over $18,000, of which I 'shared' through CHM. We soon received a check from them in full for all invoices I submitted and we paid our bills in full.

This was the only time I ever submitted bills for sharing, but it worked great for us, it is 'ACA' approved & we basically flip the bird to O-stupid-care and all rip-off insurance companies. I'd much rather send them $300/mo to share like this than send money to an insurance company. If everyone would go this route, all medical insurance companies would vanish!

Oh, other than the anti-venom, my wife took no other medication or drugs while in the hospital or after release. She used Young Living Essential Oils for swelling & pain and was walking without any aids in 6 weeks - not 6 months as the 'medical professionals' calculated!

Latest posts

Top Bottom