Heartland flyer trip sucked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went on the Royal Gorge Railway, out in Canon City.
Just a few hours, very scenic, reasonable price. One can purchase alcoholic drinks on board, if one is so inclined.

Rafting down the river was more exciting, but the train trip was enjoyable.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went on the Royal Gorge Railway, out in Canon City.
Just a few hours, very scenic, reasonable price. One can purchase alcoholic drinks on board, if one is so inclined.

Rafting down the river was more exciting, but the train trip was enjoyable.

We did the Royal Gorge by rail as well. (Link to pictures below.) As for rafting the river, I'm old enough I require more "subtle" rivers for floating.

Royal Gorge Rail Trip

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The Cumbres & Toltec is a scenic railroad that runs from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO. Don't wear white.
It’s a nice route. The DSNG loans them an engine on occasion for the busy season. DSNG is working on two more engines. One may be ready in a couple years. Only God know how much money and time my dad has donated over the years. He’s a retired engineer and loves his trains!
My grandmother rode the train as a young missionary in 1928. I think Dad holds a special bond there to keep the RR running.
https://m.durangotrain.com/

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just realized we derailed this thread. Let's get back on track.
Actually good info mr. ed. The Mrs. and I had been talking about a fall trip

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amtrak is supposed to have priority over freight. That however does not mean that the track operators abide by that. The best thing you can do is contact our federal reps so they can give Amtrak a little teeth on the matter. I am sure that a fine paid to Amtrak for every minute that a train waits on a siding will fix the issue. It however is better now than it used to be.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Durango to Silverton, Colorado - Denver and Rio Grande, I think. Excursion train out of Durango on which one can ride the train to Silverton and return by either bus or ride the train back.

Being the photographer, I chose to ride the train both up and back so I had morning light going up and afternoon light coming back. The trip up, I took more than 800 photos, enough so that I had to find a store to buy an additional memory card and then cut back on the "quality" of the images I was taking by reducing the file sizes.

Those photos are at my Smugmug site under the folder named for Colorado and sub folder for "Vacation 2009." Or, use this link:

Durango to Silverton Steam Train Excursion

This excursion may be less beautiful as I think there were some wildfires this summer that were north of Durango. I don't know if those fires have hampered or stopped the trains.

The Durango ride is excellent; we went in the spring, so it doesn't go all the way to Silverton, but does stop to let you eat and unwind, then reverses direction back to Durango. Had enough snow on the ground when we went last year for the boys (and many adults) to have snowball fights, and for some great pics to be taken. Looks like the steam locomotives are on hold right now due to fires there.
According to news I saw on TV this morning, that route is shut down for a possible 6 months. Recent heavy rains last week caused a closure of the tracks until repairs can be made because of flash floods, mudslides and avalanches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom