Help... Bullet stuck in Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mspaeth53

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out at the range today with a friend shooy our pistols. Just before we finished, I was shooting and had a shoot that did not feel right or sound right. The shell did not eject. I pulled the slide back and the shell came out very smoky looking. I think something is not right. I unload the gun and start looking, the bullet is still in the barrel, about 1 inch in. My question is this, do I push the bullet out towards the muzzel or do I go backwards to the breech??? I will find a wood dowel large enough for the job but which way do I push it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out at the range today with a friend shooy our pistols. Just before we finished, I was shooting and had a shoot that did not feel right or sound right. The shell did not eject. I pulled the slide back and the shell came out very smoky looking. I think something is not right. I unload the gun and start looking, the bullet is still in the barrel, about 1 inch in. My question is this, do I push the bullet out towards the muzzel or do I go backwards to the breech??? I will find a wood dowel large enough for the job but which way do I push it.

Since this is an auto with a removable barrel I would separate it from the rest of the pistol frame and remove the spent casing (which it sounds like you have already done) and get a couple pieces of wood. One to rest the muzzle end of the barrel on and another being a dowel rod close to the diameter of the barrel. If possible, tap the dowel rod from the breech end of the barrel and drive it out the muzzle. You're generally better off if you can come from the breech end rather than the muzzle.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
what he said, only I would push it out whichever way is shorter.

with a wooden dowel, and only an inch in, Id knock it back the way it came.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a reload with no powder(don't know how that happened),primer pushed the bullet into the barrel from the cylinder just enough to lock it up.A dowel and a few taps knocked it out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always go the shorter way if possible. I have also heard that it is easier if you freeze it for a while.

Evan

??freezing the barrel would reduce the size of the barrel and make it harder to extract the bullet. I don't think its necessary, but if one wanted to, you could use a hair dryer on the barrel to make the bore expand that would allow the bullet to come out a little easier, but it won't make a difference either way as I've hunted in sub zero weather, and 100 degree weather. The bullet always goes out the other end...Except for the time I got the FTF.:D

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that your bullet is removed I think your next important query should be "Why did it get stuck?". Do some investigation or provide some more info on the circumstances. Either you can be helped here or you can help someone else avoid the same situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom