HELP. Fence Poles. Are these OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only place you will have problems is where the pipe enters the concrete. The water will puddle in the concrete causing early failure. Concrete on steel or galvanized pipe should always end up in a convex position over the ground so it can shed water.

If you like painting your posts every year for unsightly rust, I'd let it go. If you want a professional looking installation, insist on the galvanized. There are different grades(thicknesses) of galvanized pipe.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also paint it with some Van Sickle form Atwoods and be good for about forever. Stuff sticks to anything. If it is thick pipe, it will last longer than the wood could ever dream of.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pulled the estimate and it says "drillstem".

Had no idea what that was until just now. I'd have thought that the installer should have informed me that this was not galvanized.

Every fence in the area is galvanized. Every other part of my fence is galvanized.

Plus, the Mrs. is not happy with "rusty pipe."

Can't say that I am either.

I've dealt with this company before and they know that esthetics is a concern.

The drillstem might outlast me, but the galvanized is what the rest of the fence is and it has been standing fine for 20 years and more.

This is going to be not-fun.

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pulled the estimate and it says "drillstem".

Had no idea what that was until just now. I'd have thought that the installer should have informed me that this was not galvanized.

Every fence in the area is galvanized. Every other part of my fence is galvanized.

Plus, the Mrs. is not happy with "rusty pipe."

Can't say that I am either.

I've dealt with this company before and they know that esthetics is a concern.

The drillstem might outlast me, but the galvanized is what the rest of the fence is and it has been standing fine for 20 years and more.

This is going to be not-fun.

Dave

It sux to have to read the fine print, but I agree with you. It needs to match.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Silver Rust olem(sp?) and it'll look a whole lot better than the thin wall fencing, a big plus is it's about 4 times as stout as the galvanized. I'd be very happy if they used that on my place.

I'm getting ready to put up some fence, ask him if he knows where to get a good deal on the drill stem.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They sell cold galvanizing paint at Tractor Supply. Certainly it's not as good as true galvanization, but it's a high zinc content and will look the same. And since the pipe is much thicker and better than cheap fence grade galvanized pipe, you'll be better off. You'll get the look you want and the better pipe. Plus, that stuff will really help with preventing corrosion on your pipes down near the ground.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we had a place out in the country between Mustang and Tuttle, we saw a wood privacy fence bent clear over on the north side of the owner's yard. The ENTIRE NORTH SIDE, and their fence posts were the galvanized crap. They ended up getting to rebuild the entire fence so as not to have the same problem again.

Guess what....

....the wind BLOWS in Oklahoma and unless you are sheltered all the way around, I'd go with the drill stem.

Pretty isn't everything, but ask the builder if they are going to prep the pipe and "paint" it in some way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom