HELP. Fence Poles. Are these OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If those are what they look like, they'll outlive you. They should have a wall thickness of somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4", and they'll be a hell of a lot stronger than zinc fence posts. If that surface rust bothers you, sand and paint them. I don't think I'd complain about them.

yes. youre getting some solid steel pipe.
Id have killed to get drill pipe like that when our fence went up this spring.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I have in my fence and it has been there around seven years now. I buried. In ground 2 feet and poured a foot tall footing on that. It has.lasted a many storm while neighbors has blown over twice. I do need to replace some boards now but may replace all to match new front cedar fence.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The man said there were aesthetic concerns. That's the end of the story. I'd use the drill pipe myself, but I'm a ragged old redneck with drill pipe in the back yard shipped from Texas thirty years ago. He's not keeping the cattle in or the Mexicans out.He wants the corogated zinc to match what he already has. He'll be dead before it is. He's paying money to a contractor. He should get what he wants for his money.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The man said there were aesthetic concerns. That's the end of the story. I'd use the drill pipe myself, but I'm a ragged old redneck with drill pipe in the back yard shipped from Texas thirty years ago. He's not keeping the cattle in or the Mexicans out.He wants the corogated zinc to match what he already has. He'll be dead before it is. He's paying money to a contractor. He should get what he wants for his money.

You dont read?

The contract said drillstem, and drillstem is what he got.

Re4ad b4 u blurt owt....dayum....80

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.

Since the poles were going to be on "the other side" I wasn't too worried, but my neighbor who is splitting the cost was a bit concerned as was my wife.

Had a discussion with the contractor. He understood about "leaving the rusty pipes" as is. Agreed to have them coated and painted.

Looking at the fence now, you can't see them if they had all the pickets in. Had them leave two pickets out at each pole so they could be easily painted.

Thanks again for all the info.

Dave

Good deal man. I take back everything I said.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dont read?

The contract said drillstem, and drillstem is what he got.

Re4ad b4 u blurt owt....dayum....80

It's true that I Posted before I got caught up.I haven't paid as much attention to this thread as you have. That was a horrible error on my part. I know it's a problem, and I'm working on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom