HELP. Fence Poles. Are these OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If i was having a fence built and the contractor showed up with that thin galvenized stuff he would be fired on the spot it wont last seen to many good fences laying on the ground or looking like a snake trail when u look down the fence row using the galvenized stuff, i would almost bet the guys will come back and paint the poles with a galvenized paint to make it match what u already have and will last u many years and probably be there for ur grandkids to have kids

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If those are what they look like, they'll outlive you. They should have a wall thickness of somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4", and they'll be a hell of a lot stronger than zinc fence posts. If that surface rust bothers you, sand and paint them. I don't think I'd complain about them.

Those will have a hard time bending in a storm, unlike the galvanized posts I saw laid over after the last tornado. Those are much sturdier and costly for that matter. I would sand them and paint them and be happy!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wire brush them with a wire wheel on a grinder. Go to Sherwin Williams and get DTM paint. That stands for Direct To Metal and if you allow it to cure 3 days or so, you almost can't get it off. I would be more tickled with those posts than galvenized thin wall. It doesnt look like drill stem but just standard 2 3/8" OD pipe. Drill stem needs to be checked for NORM before being used, but it also makes great structural stell when taken out oil field service.

Before I would start butt chewing, I would find out how they are going to finish the job. A lot of guys set all the posts a little tall then stringline to cut all off at exactly the same hight, rather trying to make sure each hole is exact same depth.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several products that will prevent the rust from progressing/showing. Some of them react chemically with the remaining rust to form a black equivalent of gun buleing, I would discuss with the contractor his plans for coating the pipe. Would be surprised if he intends to just leave them rusty. This so-called drillstem looks to me like what used to be called "upset tubing." It's seamless, and tough as hell. If it ever fails, you better be underground.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand about aesthetics and having everything galvanized and matching, with that said your going to have a much heavier duty and longer lasting fence this way. Call the contractor up and find about them coating the rusted surfaces with a cold galvanizing coating or giving you the time to do that part yourself before the fence is completed and you should be golden.

They may make a deal with you and do it fairly cheap and still have it all look good as well if you inform them that you wanted something that was galvanized or at least coated. Either a few extra bucks for them to do it or spend the little extra and DIY or NKDI, choice is yours.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.

Since the poles were going to be on "the other side" I wasn't too worried, but my neighbor who is splitting the cost was a bit concerned as was my wife.

Had a discussion with the contractor. He understood about "leaving the rusty pipes" as is. Agreed to have them coated and painted.

Looking at the fence now, you can't see them if they had all the pickets in. Had them leave two pickets out at each pole so they could be easily painted.

Thanks again for all the info.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom