help me with my rut questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting an area east of norman this year. I have had some nice bucks on camera! I have a big one that came to me Sunday morning and was checking around the feeder for does. with no wind he could sense something was not right. He would never give me a clear shot even though he was at 20 yards! Anyway this morning right near my area there is a field. I saw him dogging a group of does. He was running them hard. How long will this normally take place before he breeds, or gets them locked down? I may not be able to hunt again until this weekend and wonder if i am going to possibly miss the opportunity at him.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting an area east of norman this year. I have had some nice bucks on camera! I have a big one that came to me Sunday morning and was checking around the feeder for does. with no wind he could sense something was not right. He would never give me a clear shot even though he was at 20 yards! Anyway this morning right near my area there is a field. I saw him dogging a group of does. He was running them hard. How long will this normally take place before he breeds, or gets them locked down? I may not be able to hunt again until this weekend and wonder if i am going to possibly miss the opportunity at him.

100% chance you won't kill him if you aren't in the stand! No one knows what your chances are of killing him based on rut activity. He might lock down with a doe between now and then and be done with her and searching for another one by next weekend. And he might get a date Friday night and not be seen again till next year. Who knows. Just get out there and hunt him.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yea, i would love to be.. i took off too many days in bow season with unsuccessful hunts. I wont get to hunt this particular spot until Saturday.

I just wondered if they start chasing is this just the beginning of a long week of chasing until he breeds. Or if he is chasing, he will more than likely breed her today or tomorrow?

cutterbill

New to the site!
Reaction score
The good thing about the rut is he might be gone but a better buck might wonder by your stand at 5 yd saterday morning at 1.45 pm in the afternoon.And and even better buck come by at 1.50 pm that is why you hunt all day when the rut is on and it will still be on this weekend not all bucks are locked down at the same time and thay will wonder around like a love stricken teenager and may go miles from there home. so clime in the stand saterday morning and stay ther till sunday evening and good luck and God bless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom