Help Reduce OSA Server's Load by doing Site Specific Searches with Google.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help Reduce OSA Server's Load by doing Site Specific Searches with Google.

as most of us already knows... serving up static pages uses up little resources. but custom searches queries the entire database.

when a only a few users do custom searches, not a big deal for OSA's servers. but say 200x folks all decide to so a custom search at the same time. which is not that unusual given OSA's normal load of 700 concurrent users. Hence reason for the new 60 second between search parameter.

until we get a free Google search bar. Do site specific searches. this off loads resource intensive custom searches onto Google's massive server farms.

example:

ruger 10/22 site:Okshooters.com

or

remington 870 site:Okshooters.com

or

.357 ballistics site:Okshooters.com

note: you don't have to capitalize with google.
had to cap to avoid this .... site:okshooters.com

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Or Sig 228. Or G19, or PM9, or FAL, or Uzi, or OMG!! You get the point. Yes, this forums' search does not index anything 3 letters or less.

If I know that myself (NikatKimber) posted the phrase "auto indexing turret press" in the Ammo section, then use the vBulletin search.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But isn't the Google indexing of the site a few days old? If you're trying to search for something in the classifieds, you'll be a day late.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But isn't the Google indexing of the site a few days old? If you're trying to search for something in the classifieds, you'll be a day late.

From what I've seen, Google generally crawls here about every 3 hours.

It helps that there are RSS feeds, and Google recognizes vBulletin as a discussion forum and uses those feeds to find content.

I get a Google Alert with content from my blogs within a couple of hours of publishing a post.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup pretty worthless searching for new classifies entries.
besides clicking on classifies section is not that resource intensive.

it's the unique requests that requires an entire quarry of the database that can slow thing down. this goes especially so for search terms not indexed.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll come right out and say this:

If it is coming down to how recent your search engine is to be hitting the classifieds deals you want, then you are probably not here for the right reason. You did read the rules, that state the classifieds is intended to be a benefit for contributing members, not a firearms related craigslist right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom