use the back button instead of pressing "New Post" yet again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there's only about 300 folks online right now or about 1/2 of normal load. it's only going to get worst ...

substantial gains in performance can be gotten for little to no costs.
some of the low hanging fruit has not been realized yet.

what impacts the server is not delivering static pages.
anytime a custom search is done.... the entire database is being queried.

1. searches like new posts, should be limited to once per 3 minutes.
ALL of the major forums has this type rule in force to limit resources.

2. a Google search bar should be inserted to give option of using Google's massive resource to search with instead of OSA's overtaxed servers.

use the back button instead of pressing "New Post" yet again

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not a good option to remove (New Posts) what is the MOST used button on OSA.

but really surprised the FREE option of limiting ANY custom search to once per 3 minutes has not already been implemented.

Inserting a Google search bar is also pretty low on the difficulty list and most importantly FREE.

In fact the main reason for the thread is in hopes of getting these important changes implemented.

OSA is going through growing pains due it's GROWING membership.
what counts is the total simultaneous people, not just members are hitting the database at the same time.

ALL major forums some with 100k+ members use the above.
another useful tool is to activate an OSA lifeline.

with all the recent downtime... it's unrealistic not to happen again while implementing changes... before database is finally stable.

if OSA members had an OSA lifeline or base forum without main database to chat on while OSA is down. that would go a long ways in keeping everyone happy for very little costs.

lifeline site needs to be only an entirely different trunk hosted by a completely different company.

would be happy to help support an OSA Lifeline

Personally, it is my position that the "New Posts" option should be removed entirely.

I agree with both your points.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Perrone. Never heard of New Post and certainly never used it. Still don't know what it is, although I now know where it is. Is it basically "refresh"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom