help with Encore 50 cal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 50 cal barrel from another guy and have not been able to get the primer to fire. I have taken it to the range and tried several times. I have even gotten new primers (Remington Kleanbore 209) in case I had bad primers.
There is always a small indentation on the primer, but have never had one fire.

I have called the guys at Bellmtc, (www,bellmtcs.com) for advice. They are awesome! I thought maybe I needed a heavier hammer spring, but I don't use an extension so they though I was probably OK.

When I took it apart again today to check if pin was broken or fouled up, I noticed my breech plug seemed too far into the barrel. I don't know if the pin could even reach it sufficiently to fire the primer.

Can anyone tell me how far in the plug should be or if the plug should be flush with the end of the barrel?

I will try to post a pic of mine to show how far in it seats.

Thank you. Looks like I will not get to hunt this ML season, but want it to be fixed for next year!

Last edited:

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_6142 2.jpg

Does that look like its too far into the barrel? Cold I just unscrew it a turn at a time until it hits the primer and fires? Is there supposed to be an o-ring or something to take up excess space?

Thanks for your expertise.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the old model, with the screw in breech plug. The breech plug should be screw in snug. On mine I don't have a o ring. Mine seats about 1/8 inch below the barrel.Did you check to ensure that the hole is clean? Another thing is weak or broken hammer spring. Cover the firing pin hole with your finger and fire an judge how much force the firing pin has. Have you try a different barrel?

Regards

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I went through the extra stuff that came with the barrel. There was a pack of small pistol primers and two boxes of 25 cal cases. Apparently the plug has been drilled out for 25 cal cases and it isn't the stock plug. Going to try it out tomorrow!

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh, when I looked the picture the hole look a little big, I chucked to camera angle. I really don't think that the 25 cal thingy is necessary for the encore. I had mine for many years and always goes boom, rain or sunshine. The good part is that breech plug are not too expensive. Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck.

Lou

Latest posts

Top Bottom