Help with the lee 200 grain swc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would try casting some of my own bullets, so I bought the lee tumble lube 200 swc. The bullets come out good but the overall length according to the manuals are to long. Any advice would help
Thanks

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hhhhhhmmmmm ... Haven't loaded that one myself. Where are you seating to? What is your C.O.A.L.? Lee manual is kinda' screwy, but it shows a Max COAL of no more than 2.670" with a 200 grain lead bullet (but you probably already knew that).

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.180 is where it fits in the chamber. My Speer manual says 1.190 Lyman says 1.161. I'm not sure but I don't think they're the same bullet. Maybe the lee has a shorter cone than one or longer than the other. I just want to make sure I don't seat them too deep.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one?

TL452-200SWC

Lee 45ACP.jpg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.180 is where it fits in the chamber. My Speer manual says 1.190 Lyman says 1.161. I'm not sure but I don't think they're the same bullet. Maybe the lee has a shorter cone than one or longer than the other. I just want to make sure I don't seat them too deep.

Those loads are bullet specific. Too many different bullet profiles to come up with one universal COAL for all 200 grain cast lead bullets. How deeply are you seating them? As a general statement, if they 'appear' similar to the loaded rounds in your avatar, i.e. not seated any deeper than that, you should be good to go as long as it is not a heavily compressed load and you are shooting a powder charge that comes from a reputable source. Did Lee not provide any specific data along with the mold? I think they used to, anyway. Keep in mind that these are all generalizations, and I am not privy to the specifics of your individual load nor of your loading practices. Thus, use at your own risk!

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are some that I've loaded, they are at 1.180 some with 4.7 grains of tight group and some with 4.2 of bullseye. The mold didn't come with any data. I think it should, I'd sleep a little better at night if it did. I have shot some of them and haven't seen any signs of pressure.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are actually one-tenth under what Lee shows for a starting load with Titegroup, and at their starting load with Bullseye for light target loads. It sounds like you're an experienced handloader and know what to watch for. If they function properly and don't show any signs of pressure, I personally would probably fire away! YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom