Help with the lee 200 grain swc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are some that I've loaded, they are at 1.180 some with 4.7 grains of tight group and some with 4.2 of bullseye. The mold didn't come with any data. I think it should, I'd sleep a little better at night if it did. I have shot some of them and haven't seen any signs of pressure.

You might seriously consider giving Lee a call! Tell them what you are loading and ask for some specific guidance. Put them on the spot! It's THEIR bullet, and their own manual doesn't even give specifics regarding COAL. Ask them. I would!

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's what I'll do. i just ordered a mold for a 230 grain rn and I don't want to guess at that one too. Thanks for the advice

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice from DRC458.
I've been shooting the semi-wad cutters in my .45 for competitions. The rule of thumb is to seat the bullet where the shoulder is about the thickness of a dime above the case.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called lee this morning and I don't know anything more than I did yesterday. He said not to go over the max oal of 1.275( which is way to long) or under the minimum oal that is stated in the book. He didn't know what that was for the lee bullet, and I don't think he understood that the bullets in the Speer and Lyman manuals are different. I think I'm ok where I have them at now. I'm going to try some of them this week and see what happens.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called lee this morning and I don't know anything more than I did yesterday. He said not to go over the max oal of 1.275( which is way to long) or under the minimum oal that is stated in the book. He didn't know what that was for the lee bullet, and I don't think he understood that the bullets in the Speer and Lyman manuals are different. I think I'm ok where I have them at now. I'm going to try some of them this week and see what happens.

That's disappointing, but not too surprising. Yeah, it sounds to me like you'll be OK. That goofy Lee manual gives a minimum OAL for a variety of bullets, then doesn't tell you what bullets they are talking about!!!! HUH?!?!?!?!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot that same TL 200 grain in my two 45acp and have shot it in 4 others as well.

I load for my gun 4.0-4.1gr Bullseye I have loaded much more and even used it in my 45 colt.
Now the 45 acp is a low pressure round and i have seated long into the lands by .020" and have set it very deep into the case where no band is showing.

It did not make any difference for me as far as cycling.. they all cycled in my gun .
But my best accuracy was when i set them to 1.200 to 1.215"

You can play with speeding them up in the 45acp and when you get to the overlimit on speed they will tumble.
They will hit the paper target sideways even at 10 paces or less they are tumbling when sent too fast.

Back off the powder and keep them going straight.
At 4.1gr BE i have shot them 200 yards and they are still going straight.

My gun barrel slugs fat .4535" so i can't go too fast with them.

like others stated they need to cycle reliably.. move the aol around to find a sweet accuracy spot.. you ain't going to hurt it with those low loads.
I have another lee bullet that works well at long distances.

I use it in my 45acp. it is the 452 -255gr round nose flat point bullet. I also use 4.0-4.1 BE in that load.
Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-255-RF 45 ACP 45 Auto Rim 45 Colt (Long

Another Thumper is the 452" 250gr hornady HP XTP,, I was very impressed with it in my 45acp.
Yes some of those are heavy, sometimes i like heavy and slow. If i had 300gr bullets i would try them also.. but that is just me.

With that TL bullet i use the Lee alox for lube..I tried the 50/50 JPW alox and it leads up the barrel when i rapid fire , JPW is Johnsons paste wax

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the info. Went out Saturday and tried out several different loads and found that anything over 1.190 didn't cycle in my gun very well. And 4.7 grains of Bullseye did pretty good. I use the lee Alox also. A friend gave me some powder coated ones I tried, they seemed fine too. Not sure I can get over the different colored bullets though. Any thoughts on pc bullets?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to powder coat I see no issues with it. Some i know do it and have good luck with it.
I myself have not tried it as that is something i do not need as the Alox works well for me.

You are on the correct path.. try different loads and see what the gun likes best.
A friend of mine uses steel cases and 230gr cast and a large load of powder to get 1276 fps from his 45acp pistol.. he worked up and tried different powders.
I shot the load from my gun and it is a bruiser for sure.

Better have a strong gun to play with those type loads though.
I prefer different loads..My wife can hit milk jugs at 130 yards with my 45acp.. notice i did not say I could.
Do not under estimate that 45 it will when loaded with a good load hit way out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom