Herter's Brand Ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the Cabela's catalog today. Cracked it open to see 'Herter's Ammunition' featured as bulk price-point 'plinking' ammo in various calibers.

I've heard of Herter's before, and I thought it was some old 1960's wildcat stuff in very select calibers. This stuff looks like rebranded 'Wolf' ammo complete with laquered steel cases. The pages in the catalog also made mention of a 'legendary Russian munition manufactuer' as the producer...

Anyone know more on 'Herter's Ammo'? Does it shoot well?

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You put the pieces together in your post. It is rebranded WOLF ammo just as Academy does. It will shoot just the same. They most likely purchased the name rights from the previous company...

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a case of 12 ga. steel shot that is branded Herters. I bought it 10 yrs ago probably and it is in camo boxes. I think I got it from Mac's Prairie Wings.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old Herter's catalogues were weirder than ham ice cream. The "family philosophy" kind of defied description. Some of their products were excellent. CB

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old friend from back home raves about Herter's solid (?) shotgun wads. They didn't have the regular slits down the sides (they had solid walls) which made your shotgun shoot like a rifle for 15+yds, thus increasing your range for high flying geese. He tells me Herter's had almost anything you could imagine in the pages of their catalog. "If you ever thought, 'man, I wish they made (blank)', they probably had in their catalog."

In reference to Herter's ammo: never seen it before.

:)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a Cabela's catalog in the mail. From looking at the pictures of the ammo and reading the description, Wolf has either changed it's name to Herter's or Herter's is selling Wollf ammo under their name.

Kid Colt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When Herters went bankrupt in 1981, evidently the naming rights were sold off and Cabela's ended up with them.

I wouldn't put the same stock in anything under the current day name of Herter's as the old one...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you took the Shotgun news, Cabelas, Bass pros and Brownells catalogs together, you might get close to what Herters had in their hey-day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom