Highway on ramp speedlimit laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the reason I asked is because I gota ticket yesterday on I-40 just west of 44. I was on 44 taking the I-40 west bound exit and when I got to I-40 there was a long line of traffic behind me and I saw an opening about five to six cars ahead of me so I sped up to merge into traffic came over the hill and a motorcycle officer clocked me doing 79 in a 60. I told him I was trying to merge. he said that 79 is not acceptable. I thought I was doing the right thing by speeding up as to not cause a rear end accident by stopping or cause a back up on I 44. but I guess not. I have not had a speeding ticket in ten years. and don't won't this to raise my insurance for something I thought I was doing right. I could uderstand if I was just some jacka** speeding down the road but I was trying to merge.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my peeves is when a car getting on the interstate feels it has the right-of-way. I'll move to the left lane if I see a car trying to merge (and there isn't any traffic in the left lane), but I don't think it's appropriate for a car to roll up beside you and try to push you out of the way.

And to the OP, I think you would've been okay up to the speed limit, but I can't envision a scenario where an LEO would find it acceptable to be 19 mph over the limit.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my peeves is when a car getting on the interstate feels it has the right-of-way. I'll move to the left lane if I see a car trying to merge (and there isn't any traffic in the left lane), but I don't think it's appropriate for a car to roll up beside you and try to push you out of the way.

And to the OP, I think you would've been okay up to the speed limit, but I can't envision a scenario where an LEO would find it acceptable to be 19 mph over the limit.

Sure there is.

When all other lanes look like a freight train.

Just my opinion, but I'm not an LEO.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the reason I asked is because I gota ticket yesterday on I-40 just west of 44. I was on 44 taking the I-40 west bound exit and when I got to I-40 there was a long line of traffic behind me and I saw an opening about five to six cars ahead of me so I sped up to merge into traffic came over the hill and a motorcycle officer clocked me doing 79 in a 60. I told him I was trying to merge. he said that 79 is not acceptable. I thought I was doing the right thing by speeding up as to not cause a rear end accident by stopping or cause a back up on I 44. but I guess not. I have not had a speeding ticket in ten years. and don't won't this to raise my insurance for something I thought I was doing right. I could uderstand if I was just some jacka** speeding down the road but I was trying to merge.

LOL!! Dude, that is not merging, that is passing on the on ramp. :sorry4:

Just pay the ticket, difference between merging with traffic, and speeding up to get in front of them.:owned3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom