Highway on ramp speedlimit laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the reason I asked is because I gota ticket yesterday on I-40 just west of 44. I was on 44 taking the I-40 west bound exit and when I got to I-40 there was a long line of traffic behind me and I saw an opening about five to six cars ahead of me so I sped up to merge into traffic came over the hill and a motorcycle officer clocked me doing 79 in a 60. I told him I was trying to merge. he said that 79 is not acceptable. I thought I was doing the right thing by speeding up as to not cause a rear end accident by stopping or cause a back up on I 44. but I guess not. I have not had a speeding ticket in ten years. and don't won't this to raise my insurance for something I thought I was doing right. I could uderstand if I was just some jacka** speeding down the road but I was trying to merge.

The right thing would be.......... NOT TO SPEED.

pay the ticket and learn a lesson.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if he asked where he was going?

:)

No the cop was pretty cool about it. But he did not ask me where I was going cause I told him I knew why he pulled me over. My only case was I was trying to merge, now that being said next time I merge into the fastlane and slow down instead of speeding up and someone dies in a rearend accident(hopefully not me) I can just say I was told to slow down to merge and show the cop at the accindent scene the ticket I got for speeding up. Also there is no yield sign on this on ramp. I was traveling northbound on 44 headed to the west bound exit on to I-40 so I was mergeing into the FAST lane on I-40. Which I highly doubt anyone in that lane was going 60mph. Plus I thought it was 65 mph, but I was not going to argue with the cop when he probably could have written alot more than a speeding ticket.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone on this thread knows the difference between MERGE and YIELD???
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

If you stop at the yield sign waiting on traffic to pass, and then enter the highway without obtaining a reasonable speed at the end of the acceleration lane (which is non-existent on most ramps outside metro area), then you become an impediment to the flow of traffic.

If you choose to continue accelerating and cross the solid white line to extend your acceleration lane, then you are driving on the shoulder.

Besides, most ramps aren't signed either way. In that case, shouldn't the cars on the left yield? The on-ramps are state-maintained, right?

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you stop at the yield sign waiting on traffic to pass, and then enter the highway without obtaining a reasonable speed at the end of the acceleration lane (which is non-existent on most ramps outside metro area), then you become and impediment to the flow of traffic.

If you choose to continue accelerating and cross the solid white line to extend your acceleration lane, then you are driving on the shoulder.

So what is considered a reasonable speed when everybody in the fastlane is doing 65+ mph and your trying to merge. Cause that would mean that a reasonable speed to me would be faster than that which I can consider 79mph a "reasonable" speed to merge.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no yield sign because that "ramp" is actually a merge lane that is at least a mile long. It is not unreasonable to expect that you could have found a spot to merge somewhere in that mile without going 79mph.

Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom