hijacked my husbands account to ask a serious question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am using my husbands account to ask a serious question among a group of his peers so maybe he will actually see that he is wrong.
He keeps a 1911 and his pocket pistol in his nightstand at night, both are loaded(my definition of loaded is having a full clip in, my husband says its not loaded unless one is in the chamber). I have asked him a few times recently to stop keeping them in there because our daughter is now 18 months old and into everything. He said he would move them but has yet to do it. So this morning I was making my daughter a snack and she was playing in the living room where I could see her then she follows our dog into our bedroom and is playing with him. Once I get her snack done I go into our bedroom and my husband has left his nightstand drawer wide open and she has pulled out 2 or 3 shotgun shells (which he lets her play with even though I have asked him not to) and put them on the floor and is now touching the 1911 while it is still in the drawer. Basically at this point I have had it.. I told him no more guns in the house if they are not locked. I told him he could put his carry pistol in his tool box which he has to pass by any time he leaves the house but that I dont want guns in the house anymore that are not locked. We do not have a safe but he would argue that having to get a gun out of a safe would take too much time etc... any opinions on this would help, even if y'all think I am being crazy and overprotectively paranoid.

Thanks!

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need one of the handgun safes that have the lock that uses either biometrics or the 4 finger pad keys that can be opened very quickly and put just about anywhere. Seems like they are around $125 or so at Sports World. This is what I have been planning to do for a while and I don't even have my own kids. Toddlers + guns don't mix.

clarkbe9980

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ very good thing to do. Those safe doors are spring loaded and flip open quickly.

If you cannot afford one make him put the guns high up somewhere. A lot of people keep a gun on the top shelf of the closet or in a high cabnet under towels or something. They will be out of reach and still quick to grab if you need it.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At that age, yes the guns need to be kept out of reach. When the kiddos get older (6 or so, depending on their maturity level) you can put em back in the night stand after having a serious discussion with them about gun safety. When I married my wife and moved in with her and her 7 year old daughter, one of the first things I did was explain to her how the guns work, what they do, and told her that if she ever wants to look at them, she is free to do so, but she needs to ask me first, so that I can give her proper supervision. It's ok to be curious, we just want you to be safe.

clarkbe9980

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
At that age, yes the guns need to be kept out of reach. When the kiddos get older (6 or so, depending on their maturity level) you can put em back in the night stand after having a serious discussion with them about gun safety. When I married my wife and moved in with her and her 7 year old daughter, one of the first things I did was explain to her how the guns work, what they do, and told her that if she ever wants to look at them, she is free to do so, but she needs to ask me first, so that I can give her proper supervision. It's ok to be curious, we just want you to be safe.

"Gun proof your kids, don't kid proof your guns"

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Children are precious. I think lots of people don't realize how profoundly precious they are until later in life in retrospect after they've grown up. Even with intense forethought and planning there are still countless potential accidents that can happen with a child. Why take a chance with a known danger? Your daughter's safety takes first place over everything else in your life.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is wrong.

When they are older you can gun proof them. But you will still have the problems with your kids friends over when you are gun.

have him get a handgun safe to keep by the nightstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom