hijacked my husbands account to ask a serious question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a 1911 that is magazine loaded but not chamber loaded is not a danger, then why don't we point them at each other when they are unloaded, or look down their barrels, etc.? Because the first rule of gun ownership is that guns are always loaded.

"Here Sally, play with my unloaded 1911." Lulz.

+1 on this. While the child may not be able to physically harm themselves with it, I want to be there when they handle and familiarize themselves with the firearm. Unsupervised "play" with a real gun could (not will, but may) lead to poor outcomes in the future when the kid is big enough to harm him- or herself.

18 months is too young for a child to be cognitively developed enough to engage in firearm safety (or drive a motorcycle, or use a band saw, or stick weld, or pan fry bacon, or engage in a variety of other tasks). Once he or she is old enough be taught gun safety, then we can begin "gun proofing the child," as it were. But until then, it's on us, the parents.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At that age, yes the guns need to be kept out of reach. When the kiddos get older (6 or so, depending on their maturity level) you can put em back in the night stand after having a serious discussion with them about gun safety.

No way. I have two boys that are about to turn 10 and 7, and even with my preaching, teaching, and demonstrating, there's no way I'd give either one of them access to even unloaded firearms. Kids are kids, and they will do stupid things when you aren't looking, even with the best of instruction. Better to not put them in a position to fail. Catastrophically. I keep mine in the safe, to save both potential damage to the kids and the guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for the pistol safe on the nightstand. I got a real nice .38 S&W a few years back when a buddy called at 10pm one night. Seems his 4 year old came out of the bedroom with the gun in hand. Wive gave the ulitmatum, gun goes or you go, tonight. I had to drive across town, but its in my safe as we speak. As the kid became a teen, I asked him if he wanted his pistol back, but he let me keep it.
;D

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your concerns while legitimate are due to lack of knowledge about the weapons. I suggest you spend some time at the range learning how the guns operate. Knowledge is a powerful thing.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its me now! I messed up this morning and I have admitted it fully. Jenn doesn't completely understand firearms but her worries are 100% justified. I have acquired a small floor safe from a friend that I'll use for now until I get a bed side box plus a real safe. We were just discussing last night how I really need to be a safe so this put me in my place. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it.

Glad you handled this well, a lot of guys would have blown up at their wife for posting like she did.

My advice, after the good advice you have gotten from the people here, get your wife to set up an account on here, and get her involved in the community and concept of firearms being necessary for your families protection. As the kiddos grow up, they can get involved in the fun as well.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are we forgetting the first rule of gun handling. Every gun is loaded even if there are no rounds in it at all.

My point was "you need to lock your guns up but your daughter probably wasn't in any immediate danger so please ease up on your husband."

Just trying to help a bro out.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the time my boys could understand, I have taught them the difference between toy guns and real ones. That being said, I never left my guns out where they could get to them. You are right and no he shouldn't leave them where the child can get to them. To put your mind at ease the 1911 can not go off without a bullet in the chamber, and unless your child is superman they will not be able to chamber the bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom