Hint on loading Pistol ammo on Progressive press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was whining to a guy at Dillon the other day about my 650 not loading 9mm's as easy as it does 40 S&W.
He told me you want to make that press run very smooth spray just a little brass lube on your pistol brass and it will run Very smooth.

Well I did it and WOW... it really works.. the press runs so much better with just a bit of lube on the brass. I just took some of my spray lube and sprayed the brass in top of the bucket I was loading out of before I put it in my case feeder.
Worked like a champ..
Just thought I'd pass this on..

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was whining to a guy at Dillon the other day about my 650 not loading 9mm's as easy as it does 40 S&W.
He told me you want to make that press run very smooth spray just a little brass lube on your pistol brass and it will run Very smooth.

Well I did it and WOW... it really works.. the press runs so much better with just a bit of lube on the brass. I just took some of my spray lube and sprayed the brass in top of the bucket I was loading out of before I put it in my case feeder.
Worked like a champ..
Just thought I'd pass this on..

Was the hangup at the sizing die? the overall indexing of the press? or am I gonna hate you and it was the case feeder?!?!

If the last, Im envious. I want a case feeder.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the hangup at the sizing die? the overall indexing of the press? or am I gonna hate you and it was the case feeder?!?!

If the last, Im envious. I want a case feeder.

It was primarily the sizing die.

I just cant tell ya how much better the press run's now....:woohoo1:

Ah you dont have a case feed?? oh you are missing out..:rotflmao:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was primarily the sizing die.

I just cant tell ya how much better the press run's now....:woohoo1:

Ah you dont have a case feed?? oh you are missing out..:rotflmao:

You suck! ;)

Yeah, I have problems with 9mm on the sizing die with my 550. Ill have to try the case lube. Wierd how I have no issues with .40 and .45.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try running new 9mm brass (such as Starline) in a 550. It's worse than blown out fired cases. It doesn't so much stick on the sizing die as it does on the powder/expander die. :(

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
brass lube for brass; hmmmmmm...

what an idea! :D

Actually I discovered the same thing about a year into using my 650... I assumed since I was using carbide dies I had no need for case lube.

Now I give em a light spray of hornady one shot as I dump em in the feeder.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not limited to Dillon or carbide dies. My Hornady TIN coated dies do it too. I just hit them with a touch of lube and it works slick as a hot knife through butter.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try running new 9mm brass (such as Starline) in a 550. It's worse than blown out fired cases. It doesn't so much stick on the sizing die as it does on the powder/expander die. :(

I've noticed that stage is a lot smother now as well.

Heck I thought every one knew this but me!!!!! I was talking to my reloading hero and he did not know about to so thought Id post it..

I've not tried any new brass yet though, Ill have to give that a try soon..

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another little trick is that I use Johnson's paste wax on my shell plate and the primer mechanism each time I change calibers. Sure makes things work smoother on my 550. (Let it dry and buff it off before you put it together..) Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom