Hodgdon CFE Pistol Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drexton311

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I cannot find Bullseye anywhere and I happen to go to Bill's and see that they just received a shipment of Hodgdon CFE Pistol Powder. Fearing I will run out of powder, I went ahead and bought some to try out. The problem is that I do not have any books that have formulas for this powder as I hear it is new. Have you guys had any experience with this powder? Any favorite loads? I am wanting to load 45 ACP and 380 target loads.

Thanks!

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
keep us posted on how it performs...

I just bought some of this at Jerry's today.... super helpful there, left with some bullets and primers as well and I don't even have a press yet !!!!!!

now I have no choice... or so I'll tell the wife :)

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got back from shooting 300 rds of 115 RN 9mm loaded with 5.6gns CFE....

albeit I have nothing to compare it to other than factory ammo as these are my first loads.. I brought some factory UMC for comparison and not only did it burn much cleaner than the factory loads, but at 5.6gns its got plenty more umph....

although I'm happy with it I'm hopeful to find some titegroup and some AA nitro to compare it to as both these powders require less gns for exact load, which in my novice mind will allow me to stretch my powder....

in a nut shell, couple weeks ago I went out and shot 300 rounds of factory 115 gn ammo out of two guns and there was visual residue all over the muzzle/frame....

I used only one gun with my reloads this time and had zero visible residue...

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using CFE PP to reload for 45 ACP and 10mm.
I am trying to find out what my guns and I like. Do not own a chronograph and I am not after getting max speeds (especially out of the 10mm)
45 ACP shot out of Springfield Range Officer full size
230 grain RN FMJ bullets, Starline brass, Win LPP primers.
I have tried 6.2, 6.3, 6.4,6.5,6.6, and 6.7 grains.
like the 6.4 and up loads best.

10mm shot out of Glock 20
180grain FMJ FN, DT brass, Win LPP Primers
I have tried 7.0, 7.2, 7.4, 7.6 grains. I (and the gun) liked 7.4 grains the best. for now...

I am a novice shooter and have a lot of work to do on my end.
I hope this helps in any way

All information given here is use at your own risk.
Please refer to and use only published load data from reputable manufacturers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom