hog hunting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is the minimum caliber needed for hunting.... I know that you can take one with darn near any caliber if you place the shot right, but what do most use?

Reaction score
I'd prefer .243 and up, with 95-90 grains or heavier, or .260 and up. I've hunted them with .25-06, .280 rem, .45-70, and .260 Rem. Only ever got a shot with .25-06 so far. Put them down, but they were itty bitty footballs that I thought were 40 lb juveniles looking through my scope at 90 yards. A .22 would have put them down as easily.

One other thing on nocturnal: Sure they're noctural. Very much. But not exclusively. The thing is, the days are very very long now (or at least they were in July & August), and the nights very short. This gives them less time to feed and fill their bellies, before they pack it in to a bedding area and digest. Consequently, they may tend to stay out longer in the morning or come out hungry earlier in the evening - not earlier time-wise on the clock, but earlier relative to sunset, where they can be seen. At least, that's my limited understanding and belief.

Also keep in mind that the vegetation quality is very poor in nutrients in late summer, and there's been no acorn crop since last fall - I guarantee you in Aug and Sept, they're moving some during daylight hours, looking for hard-to-come-by food.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tad - The pigs are still moving at night when it is the coolest for them. You have a higher chance of finding them at 5:30 to 6:30 am than during the day. Roosta7a and I were talking about that over the weekend when I took a break from brushhogging. During the winter I see more hog movement during the day. Use a protein source for bait in your traps during January to March. A roadkill works great or a fresh deer gut pile in November does too.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm out at sun up almost every morning, and sun down every evening looking. Hadn't seen a single pig at sundown in a long time. Every one that I see right now are out at first light. And when I say first light, I mean first light! If you wait till the sun comes up, they're deep in the brush.

dcoop46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about the Jared Allen(Minn. Vikings) hunting them with a knife. I saw 2 guys on Outdoor Channel hunting with spears. Now that takes a pair. Have friends that shoot them all the time around Deep Fork. One just sits on his porch.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the pigs Ive shot have been with a .223 from 45 to 55 grainers. Most dropped on impact. Killed several with 30-06 and usually has same result or the run a short distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom