Home Defense Gun For Beginner & His Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since self defense is a possibility, I assume you mean a potential of carry? If so.... a G19 gets my vote hands down. Reliable, good size for carry, good capacity, cheap to feed, and idiot proof to diassemble (kinda). I think Shoot sum had the best idea IMHO, but it's hard to convince newbies the importance of going to a class and shelling out that kind of money.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ruger Gp100 was my first gun. I got rid of it because I just didn't enjoy shooting it. It is too much gun for a first time shooter, especially a first time female.

The M&P 9mm is a great first handgun. My daughter has no problem with it at all.

B

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last thing I want to worry about is having to rack a slide on a pump when someone is trying to break in or already is in. Much easier to grab a handgun and aim in my opinion, especially for someone with limited training.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last thing I want to worry about is having to rack a slide on a pump when someone is trying to break in or already is in. Much easier to grab a handgun and aim in my opinion, especially for someone with limited training.

+1 and a self defense TOOL should never be considered a Talisman <---- borrowed from Michael Brown. :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts on a first gun for home defense are pretty simple. I always recommend a simple gun for a starter gun.

One where they don't have to learn a complex manual of arms. One that's simple to clean without much disassembly. One that it's easy to tell at a glance whether it's loaded or not. One that's light enough to be handled easily, yet with enough heft to dampen recoil. One that doesn't require a lot of strength to manipulate. One that you can start with very light recoiling loads and work up to more powerful fodder for defense. And finally, one that doesn't break the bank with startup costs.

The one gun that to my mind checks all these boxes is a good used 4" S&W K Frame .38 or .357 revolver. What they're buying as a 1st home defense gun is an entry level Whole Life insurance policy. It will appreciate over time and they can always add to it. If they decide it's not for them or they want a policy with better coverage, they can always cash in the 1st one with no money lost.

They can get into one for less than $250 http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431 and have money left over for a decent quick access personal safe if they have kiddoes in the house (I'd recommend the round butt so they have a wider range of aftermarket grip sizes available). One of these with a safe, a couple of HKS speedloaders, a couple of boxes of practice ammo and one box of defense ammo, and an inexpensive 6V Lithium LED flashlight would make a great home defense setup for around $400 total cost.

They can always add a shotty and/or a good quality semi-auto handgun later to increase their level of protection. But in my mind, this is one of the best ways to get started.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Both have nearly zero experience with handguns so simplicity and reliability are key (not as if they aren't important for the rest of us).

So, the questions are Revolver or Semi? What caliber? Laser sight or not?

Simplicity and reliability = Revolver for new gun owners.

The question of children in the house and their potential access to firearms in the home is valid though.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with a simple revolver for a first time gun, simplicity is good.

We have had guns in our house for decades. I've always felt my wife was capable of using one but there is a big gap between capable, and prepared. She is now alot closer to prepared. Just remind your friends that owning a gun to give to the BG doesn't do them much good....

Another plug for a different style of training. We had Lori Fullbright speak at our Neighborhood Association meeting this week. Whether you like her, or her style or not, her message is really good on personal safety, if you get a chance to listen to her you should take advantage of it.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the other hand.. it only takes a small investment of range time and instruction to make a basic single action semi-auto just as reliable and easy to operate. Someone who doesn't want to spend a little time doing this maybe shouldn't have a handgun. Perhaps the shot gun would be better in that case?

B

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I also champion the revolver for the "New shooter". .38Spl is sufficent for this. A good fixed sight S&W K-frame model 10 or 64 with a 4"bbl. .357Mag isn't a good idea inside close quarters due to the overpressure created by the cartridge for someone without hearing protection. .38Spl is going to be loud as it is, but creating a sonic boom inside a bedroom or hallway could very possibly rupture the eardrums of the shooter and those he's trying to protect.

Its all about shoot placement, and penetration in the target, and a .38Spl will deliver the goods, as long as the shooter is practiced in the skill of placement, not spraying the target area. I for one will not have a .357mag loaded in the house. Even my Marlin 1894C is loaded with just .38Spl.

If a shotgun is to be chosen, I would stear them towards one of the Stoger CoachGuns. Load it close it, and the safety goes on. When you need it, push the safety off, and she's ready to go. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom