Home Defense Gun For Beginner & His Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one friend start with a Glock, one with an XD. After a modicum of range time, these were the guns they were most comfortable with, as they didn't care for revolvers. Both are reliable, durable, low maintenance guns with a very simple manual of arms, and the compact models are easy to CC if they get that bug.

I know the standard answer for this is a revolver, but a DA revolver trigger and associated ergonomics isn't for everyone. It would probably be beneficial for them to try a few different guns to see what they think. Taking them to shoot might also help to loosen them up around guns, as I've found people that haven't been around them much to be kinda...well...high-strung :)

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input all! I was leaning towards a revolver as well... It definitely wins out in the simplicity arena. I like the idea of them knowing whether it's loaded or not.

Going to a hockey game with them tonight to watch their son play. So yes, there are kids in the house. So we need to consider that. Are those quick-access safes any good or is there an alternative you all would recommend? I have no kids so I've never had to ponder this aspect of gun safety. And I will be taking them to the range and I'll also mention the classes available around here.

And the GP100 does look like a nice option. I may need to snag one for myself actually. Could always use another gun, right? :)

Thanks again!

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's for beginners, I don't think they would spend much time on the range with a shotgun. I would suggest a S&W 15 (adj sights) or 10 (fixed sights). The .38spl K-frame is an excellent pistol with very little maintenance required, not too expensive to shoot, not too bad on noise/recoil, and reliable (not as likely to jam so even a complete novice can be taught to operate in just a few minutes). A revolver could have problems, not saying they are without a chance to fail. However, you don't have to learn to clearn stovepipes, rack slides, etc. Everyone can worst case scenario, thumbcock and fire the revolver single action. If you don't train to operate a semiauto with both hands, what if one hand gets taken out of the fight?

Just my 2 cents.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input all! I was leaning towards a revolver as well... It definitely wins out in the simplicity arena. I like the idea of them knowing whether it's loaded or not.

Going to a hockey game with them tonight to watch their son play. So yes, there are kids in the house. So we need to consider that. Are those quick-access safes any good or is there an alternative you all would recommend? I have no kids so I've never had to ponder this aspect of gun safety. And I will be taking them to the range and I'll also mention the classes available around here.

And the GP100 does look like a nice option. I may need to snag one for myself actually. Could always use another gun, right? :)

Thanks again!

The quick access safes are a good option. If I had kids in my house, I'd definitely have one.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same question posed to me from a buddy of mine. Shotty's are nice, but not for a first time lady shooter, too intimidating. Simple is not always good, simple can lead to accidents. I suggested a Berreta 92 series pistol. It's simple enough, but not too simple. Very reliable/safe pistols and not too much horsepower for his wife. Also easy to maintain & relatively inexpensive.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
j&g has some doa only S&W model 64's in .38 special, cheap, ultra reliable and caliber will get it done. doesn't really get better than that.
glocktogo beat me to this. see above thread for j&g website.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bad guys hate the sound of a shell being racked in a pump shotgun.

Regarding this idea, it also gives away your location.

As for a recommendation, my wife owns a S&W 642 in 38 Special. She finds her 9mm automatics have less recoil. She has even fired my .45 semiauto and made a comment that it didn't have much more recoil than her 9.

Considering that your lady friend has zero experience, I really think she needs to be able to shoot different weapons and have a little better idea of what she is comfortable shooting.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i definitely think that a 38 special revolver would be the best for handgun. for simplicity sake a single shot shot gun would be the easiest and most aaccurate if a person doesnt want to invest time to learn and shoot

Latest posts

Top Bottom