Home Defense Shotgun...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdh3pilot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any real problems with the Mossberg 500/590, Remington 870, or Benelli Nova? I was at H&H today and they salesman told me that he would go for the Remington over the Mossberg because he said that they see more Mossbergs come back with problems. He didnt even mention the Benelli, I had to ask him about them. Once I brought them up, he was trying to push the Nova over both the Mossberg and Remington. I have never shot any Benelli products but I am leaning to the Nova. The prices were all comparable - Mossberg 590A1-$425; Remington 870-$369; Benelli Nova-$379. I would like to stay in the $400 range. Are there any other home defense shotguns I should look at?

moller72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Benelli nova best pump shotgun I have ever owned never one problem with it put several thousand shells through it over the 8 years it was my main waterfowl gun. I have had a remington 870 also never a problem with it either but it was an older one. Dad has a mossberg 500 it's been a good gun you can just tell the quality is not there with it compared to remington or benelli when cocked the pump part feels a little loose other then that and a few other minor details it's been a good gun for him.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a Mossberg 500 Persuader and have about 200 rounds through it with no problems. I changed the synthetic stock out for wood and added a small rail and tactical flashlight to it. I love it. I have pics of it in another thread.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a Mossy 500 and a Remy 870. Both were great shotguns and never caused probs. Never owned a Benelli, so I can't say. I have heard they are decent.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a Mossberg 500 a little over a year ago. Shot fine for a while but started not striking the primer and would have to re-cock it a couple of times to get it to fire. He disassembled it and cleaned it but no help. He didn't see anything out of place when he disassembled it the second time so now Mossberg has it. I have seen a couple of other issues with newer mossys, but my early 70s Western Auto Mossberg has never missed a lick.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having owned all three, the Benelli is a quality gun. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but Benelli Supernova has a smooth action. The smoothest pump shotgun I've ever owned. That being said the only one I still own is the Benelli Supernova. Once I bought it, I felt I had one I wanted. There are more accessories available for the 870 and 500/590, but I have everything I need for the Benelli.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 870s and never had a problem with any.
Also have 4 Moss's, and never a prob. But, I prefer the fit and quality feel of the Remy.
Go to a gun show or check the classifieds and save some $$$$$. Pawn shops would be worth checking, also.
Unless you think you just gotta have a new, which is always a good thing, too.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i prefer remingtons but it usually comes down to whether you like the safety by the trigger (remington) or on top/back of the receiver (mossy). Never owned a benilli either so cant comment there. I just feel like the quality of an old wingmaster 870 cant be touched for the price. I had a newer 870 express that wouldn’t pull bulk Winchester shells out without a tone of motivation. I had to remove the barrel and polish the chamber with steel wool wrapped bore brush + oil and never had a problem after that. Off topic but I have had many issues with various guns malfunctioning when using Winchester shells when federal and Remington cycled fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom