Homemade jerky?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i think the dehydrator works fine; it's just determining what reactions take place with different marinades in order to make the process consistent. i tend to like different things on my tongue, so i can't just make the same recipe over and over and over, even if it's really good.

and such, with experimentation comes failure. but the ones that are good are really good.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah that's pretty similar to the ones that have worked well for me, in terms of getting the right texture and consistency, not just taste.

basically anything that is soy sauce based, brown sugar, ketchup/mustard/dijon, worcestershire, garlic, onion, has been fine. this last batch was a recipe for "brazilian bbq" and it was basically cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, pepper, then the base of lime juice and all that olive oil. it smelled great and still does; taste is good. it just didn't ever get....not greasy. and putting it back in wouldn't work because it's very well done at this point.

this is the recipe book that came with the one i got and several of the recipes have been great. do not recommend the brazilian bbq one.

https://mans.io/files/viewer/1233489/9#navigate_bar

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just made a couple batches of jerky using an Allegro/Head Country BBQ sauce mixture, and it turned out pretty good. :anyone:
I assume then you don't find the Allegro too salty? Used to use as our marinade on chicken and such but too much sodium for our tastes now. I'm all over the Head Country BBQ sauce though! They need to make a version without high fructose corn syrup.
yeah that's pretty similar to the ones that have worked well for me, in terms of getting the right texture and consistency, not just taste.

basically anything that is soy sauce based, brown sugar, ketchup/mustard/dijon, worcestershire, garlic, onion, has been fine. this last batch was a recipe for "brazilian bbq" and it was basically cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, pepper, then the base of lime juice and all that olive oil. it smelled great and still does; taste is good. it just didn't ever get....not greasy. and putting it back in wouldn't work because it's very well done at this point.

this is the recipe book that came with the one i got and several of the recipes have been great. do not recommend the brazilian bbq one.

https://mans.io/files/viewer/1233489/9#navigate_bar
How about making it without the olive oil? Sounds like maybe it was meant for a skirt steak on the grill with a side of chimichurri instead of jerky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom