Hornady Critical Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
show me a round at the same wieght that penetrates "intermediate" barriers better, while giving positive expansion, not trying to argue, just would like to see proof of a better option

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you serious? They market the critical defense rounds on the "perfect" expansion everytime no matter what the round is penetrating. As for the problems mentioned above, anyone notice they were all in a .357 revolver and the 2 that listed the exact ammo, was both 125 gr, I've never heard a bad thing about hornady's critical defense until now, and its isolated to one weight and caliber, i'm taking that with a grain of salt...

1. Yes he is serious
2. Just because they "Market" something as the next best thing since sliced bread it doesn't make their marketing claims so
3. Hornaday ammo is designed for rapid expansion not expansion through any surface
4. Hornaday also has problems feeding into some manufactures guns as the little plastic tip gets hung up on the feed ramps and that is not isolated to any lot number or caliber.
5. If Hornaday makes a product in one caliber and size that will get you killed and make your gun an expensive paper weight I would not tend to trust them on any other size or weight they offer.

But if you like the stuff by all means use it.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, at the risk of sounding even more dumb, after looking at that page I realized that I was mixed up, I was thinking critical defnse was the same as critical duty. I've heard alot about critical defense since its realease, then I seen a segment about critical duty on guns and ammo tv, some how I thought they were the same.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is Hornadys own description of the Critical Defense, not meant to penetrate barriers.
Additionally, Critical DEFENSE® is not intended for use in extreme (law enforcement) situations that require superior barrier performance.*
http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

But its your butt on the line carry whatever you like!

I can second this by personal experience.

Recently on the range we had some "demilitarized" (ie, FREE!) kevlar vests that came back from the sand box. We decide to shoot some various rounds into the vests backed up by 4X4s. The vest was 18 layers per side (front and back) with a plastic camo shell.

Results.

Stock GLOCK 20SF
Round Result
1. Hornady Critical defense 10MM - 165GRN. Barely opened up and stuck in 4th layer of Kevlar
2. My Handloaded 10MM XTP 180 GRNS (14.2 grns AA#9) Penetrated all 18 layers, broke 4x4 and was 1/2 way into the wood. Went in like a dime, came out like cash register.
3. Double Tapp 200grn opened up huge, went through 18 layers, exploded the 4X4 and lodged in 3rd layer of kevlar on the other side.

Ruger LCR .357 mag
3. Hornady Critical defense .357 mag 125grn Opened up nicely in 10TH layer of Kevlar.
4. My handloaded .357 mag XTP Zipped through all 18 layers, and blew a hole out of the 4x4 big enough to fit a baseball. Found the Jacket, but no lead.

Had the same results with various other "self defense" loads VS hand loads in 9MM and .40.

The jacket stopped .44 MAG factory rounds (FMJ from 629 with 8-3/8" barrel and a winchest .44. rifle), but could not stop hand loads in the same calibers.

I do think the factory is cheating us... :)

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom