Hot inflation data points to a record-high Social Security cost-of-living adjustment in 2023. Some want to change how increases are measured

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this administration has plans for all the increases in Social Security and other government stipends doled out? Something no one has mentioned is that sure, we get 8.7% but that puts us all in a higher tax bracket and we'll pay more in taxes over the long haul.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it’s a sad state of affairs when SS is going broke yet we’re doling out money to every foreign country that asks for it and every illegal that sets foot in this country that has contributed absolutely nothing.

Our whole govt system is now a scam to enrich politicians, and we keep electing the crooked b*stards.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't wait to get my 2% cost of living increase with an 8% increase in all things!!!
That means for me working, I am going backwards 6%!! Sounds good to me...

Yep. I started working this part-time job because I was bored. We really didn't need the money -- and there are no benefits to speak of, except for the fact that I work for a wonderful woman and her family who treat their employees like family and do their best to take care of us all -- but with prices on everything continuing to go up and shortages of this that or the other happening more often than not these days, I'm looking at my check more and more as a much-needed buffer and less and less like play money. 😐😐😐

Michael M

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this administration has plans for all the increases in Social Security and other government stipends doled out? Something no one has mentioned is that sure, we get 8.7% but that puts us all in a higher tax bracket and we'll pay more in taxes over the long haul.
A big problem is the IRS tax laws was put into place in 1983 when they put the ceiling at $32,000 for married couples. In 1983 that was a very good number. 40 years later it’s still $32,000.
Congress needs to make major changes to the amount of your Social Security benefits are to be taxed.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A big problem is the IRS tax laws was put into place in 1983 when they put the ceiling at $32,000 for married couples. In 1983 that was a very good number. 40 years later it’s still $32,000.
Congress needs to make major changes to the amount of your Social Security benefits are to be taxed.
Maybe specifically word where it is scalable with CPI? Give these spendthrifts a little skin in the game when they start thinking about firing up the printing presses.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it’s a sad state of affairs when SS is going broke yet we’re doling out money to every foreign country that asks for it and every illegal that sets foot in this country that has contributed absolutely nothing.

Our whole govt system is now a scam to enrich politicians, and we keep electing the crooked b*stards.
Social Security has been "going broke" every year for the past 30 years, at least. Pretty sure it will continue to do fine as long as the elected 'thieves' keep their hands off of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did see the Medicare payment we make is going down vs going up in years past. One more tiny step up.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

amen to this.

according to our current president, that nonstop, endless stream of migration is a source of our strength.

you know, because people being promised a better life will pick fruit and scrub toilets really hard for you for at least 5-8 years until they figure out the whole game. hence the "non-stop, endless stream" part.
there can never just be 2 million migrants per year for like a 5 year period and that's it; we're full. nope, those migrants eventually stop working when they get burned out and they must depend on new hopefuls.

>it's so sick, they call them dreamers.

remember when you had dreams?

Latest posts

Top Bottom