House HVAC Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, looks like I've got something going on with my home AC. I have output from the registers but it's not cooling. A quick check of the outside condenser shows that it's not running. The motor's not seized, while I was there I did hear a short electrical noise. The lines are not frozen and there is some pressure in the line. (I have gauges for my auto AC that I've used several times, but figured I'd let someone more knowledgeable than I do that)

The unit in the attic is sealed up tight - the screws which I assume are for the coil access cover have sealant over them. Once again, I figured I'd hold off on taking screws out until I knew what I was doing or had someone out there that did.

I have OGE coming out tomorrow with their Energy Audit deal (scheduled back in May), gonna give them a call and see if I need to put it off until the AC's running.

Otherwise, the unit is less than 6 years old - I assume I just need refrigerant, though if that were the case, I'd also assume that I'd see freezing of the lines (though it has been damn hot).

Gonna try to hunt down some used AC window units to use for a day or three then pass them along to someone else.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thing I would check is the fuses to the condensing unit. if you find a blown fuse or tripped breaker, check inside the condensing unit for burnt wire ends on the contactor and capacitors and on the compressor itself.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like some electrical component may have failed. There is a relay in there that can (and does) burn out with frequent cycling on and off. Is this by chance a heat pump that also runs in the winter some?

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't find my meter last night to check for voltage, but nothing appeareed burned in the condensor. All other breakers were good. While I was there I did hear something energize, but nothing happened, so appears to have some voltage.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couldn't find my meter last night to check for voltage, but nothing appeareed burned in the condensor. All other breakers were good. While I was there I did hear something energize, but nothing happened, so appears to have some voltage.

It is indeed a heat pump that runs in the winter. Relays are easy - and cheap!

Sounds like the relay I'm refering to... If you can find it, look at the contacts and see if they are burned. Be sure to kill the power before messing with this!
I'm not an electrician and I'm not even sure what I'm refering to as a "relay" is actually a "relay" but I believe thats what it is.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had these same symptoms last year and it was the starter relay. $161 for them to come out and replace it same day. I was up and running again within two hours of calling them.

Hopefully it's something simple and relatively cheap like that.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picking up a couple of inexpensive used window units on the way home today and hoping that it's something that easy. :) Get the name off the unit (wish I'd writen it down last night when I remembered it) and get it called in.

BTW: Will have a couple of cheap 5k window units for sale in a few days..

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had these same symptoms last year and it was the starter relay. $161 for them to come out and replace it same day. I was up and running again within two hours of calling them.

Hopefully it's something simple and relatively cheap like that.

I had one go out several years ago. Seems that for some reason ants decided that the contacts on the relay were in their path. Cleaned the dead ants off the contacts and got the unit working till I could get a new relay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom