House HVAC Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
with the oge deal, they will schedule a free a/c tuneup, they will diag it for free and give you an estimate..
--Mech

This depends on the program, the HEEP that the customer paid $50 to have done does not include the full AC tune up. The Govt program where the customer was qualified based on age and income does include a AC tune up.

Sounds like the capacitor took a dump, $20 part or so and 15 minutes of your time and you could be back up and running. Would recommend washing the outside unit from inside out while you are at it.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It probably is the capacitor. Replaced a dozen this week. It may look swollen on top if it's bad. Pm me your number I might be able to help you over phone. If can't walk you through it, I can come look. I have my own company and do this daily.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rooster - Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. The AC guy just left (a gentleman recommended by a co-worker), and you were correct - bad capacitor and a little low on freon. I'll keep your name and will holler next time I need something though.

Ready to post a FS ad though for a 1 day used window unit.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did it look like this?
[Broken External Image]

I bet that wasn't cheap! But look at the bright side, now you can build a time machine.

But seriously though, mine is getting worse by the day. It blows cool air, everything works, but I have a river coming out of the closet in the garage. Pulled the access cover off and my A-coil is raining. Seriously, it looks like its raining inside the unit. Is it something possibly serious or just because of the extra heat these last few weeks? I just had it checked for my OG&E audit and they said everything was A-OK. I've bumped up the temp from my usual 72 to 76 to try and help it out, but after about 1 or 2 p.m. it just runs non-stop, and won't go below about 1 degree above the thermostat setting. Any ideas?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The A coil is condensating, have you checked the drains to make sure they are clean and clear. Sounds like the unit is getting close to freezing up.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The A coil is condensating, have you checked the drains to make sure they are clean and clear. Sounds like the unit is getting close to freezing up.

Got the drains checked out. It was a little clogged. Hooked a vacuum up to it and cleared it right out. Seems to be better so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom