How effective are .22lr training pistols for gaining skill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just having a little fun here, been pondering this topic. Post your opinions… as title says; how effective are 22lr “training” pistols?

I’m on the fence about it. I do believe my .22 pistols helped me hone in on trigger reset and sight picture. But it’s nothing like actually shooting centerfire. Hell I feel like Jerry Miculek with my G44! Haha! Rapid fire ringing steel… till I grab a 9mm or .45 and remember I still actually suck.

I love my .22 pistols for introducing new shooters, and for cheap fun. However, I don’t feel they come close to the quality of beneficial practice I get when shooting actual centerfire

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Because the recoil is different, 22 does not help if your issue is anticipation or flinch (pushing down/forward).

I will often do dry fire practice at the firing line with centerfire guns, which helps a lot more. 10 dry fire shots until I can see that the sights don't budge, then 3 rounds into the gun and assess.

Also, I keep a copy of this printed out in my range bag to keep as reference. (I don't actually print this out to shoot at; my club provides targets and I just compare them against each other)

72fc4f89dc6dcd091071f062a65841d5.jpg

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Because the recoil is different, 22 does not help if your issue is anticipation or flinch (pushing down/forward).

I will often do dry fire practice at the firing line with centerfire guns, which helps a lot more. 10 dry fire shots until I can see that the sights don't budge, then 3 rounds into the gun and assess.
I've always been taught that the way to get rid of flinches and anticipation is to dryfire until muscle memory overcomes the flinch.
Could a .22 provide a half-way point between dryfire and full recoil that might help confirm the effect of training and build confidence in those instances?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been taught that the way to get rid of flinches and anticipation is to dryfire until muscle memory overcomes the flinch.
Could a .22 provide a half-way point between dryfire and full recoil that might help confirm the effect of training and build confidence in those instances?

For some probably. For me 22 recoil is so miniscule and non-threatening that I'd rather just dry fire and save the money LOL.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Also, I keep a copy of this printed out in my range bag to keep as reference. (I don't actually print this out to shoot at; my club provides targets and I just compare them against each other)

Well said, I feel the same. Nice training tips too! I like that idea of 10 dry fires on the line, then 3 live to asses. Thanks!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just having a little fun here, been pondering this topic. Post your opinions… as title says; how effective are 22lr “training” pistols?

I’m on the fence about it. I do believe my .22 pistols helped me hone in on trigger reset and sight picture. But it’s nothing like actually shooting centerfire. Hell I feel like Jerry Miculek with my G44! Haha! Rapid fire ringing steel… till I grab a 9mm or .45 and remember I still actually suck.

I love my .22 pistols for introducing new shooters, and for cheap fun. However, I don’t feel they come close to the quality of beneficial practice I get when shooting actual centerfire
I'm taking a widow lady friend of ours out in the morning. I sold her a .38 snub nose because she wanted a house gun, and it was all I had to sell. I'm going to start teaching her the basic on a .22 revolver and then move her up to her .38 spl. That was the way we did it for years teaching ladies in the Women on Target NRA classes. I don't think she has ever shot a gun before. She had an incident in her yard in the past with a signal 34 nutjob and she has gotten concerned with the rising crime rate. Thanks JB.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A Colt ACE .22LR and a Gubmint Model .45 ACP are indiscernable in recoil, trigger reset, sight picture and feel.

The ACE was designed to allow troops to train with .22LR.

I have had an ACE in one hand and .45 in the other. Not knowing which is which, firing simultaneously, could not tell them apart.

To answer the OP.

Yes, absolutely.
Trigger time is trigger time

Latest posts

Top Bottom