How effective are .22lr training pistols for gaining skill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Because the recoil is different, 22 does not help if your issue is anticipation or flinch (pushing down/forward).

I will often do dry fire practice at the firing line with centerfire guns, which helps a lot more. 10 dry fire shots until I can see that the sights don't budge, then 3 rounds into the gun and assess.

Also, I keep a copy of this printed out in my range bag to keep as reference. (I don't actually print this out to shoot at; my club provides targets and I just compare them against each other)

72fc4f89dc6dcd091071f062a65841d5.jpg
Sheriff of Baghdad has a good video about that chart. Paraphrasing, “fixing poor grip and stance fixes everything on this chart”.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rehab after neck and shoulder surgery was a good time to shoot .22. I had a 1911 conversion that helped me a bunch
Previous shoulder repair I had a Ruger single 6.
Bocephus used a Ruger Single 6 after his mountain accident.
I think the Ruger single action was a better choice than the 1911 for fine tuning motor sķills

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
go train a month with your 22 and then pick up your carry gun and do a speed and marksmanship test from 3-25 hards, 1 headshot at 3,5,7, and 10, 3-5 body shots at 15,20, and 25, and see how fast and accurate you are. If you think its acceptable, then you will know training with a 22 is sufficient. If you fail, you will know training with a 22 was not the solution.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. Because the recoil is different, 22 does not help if your issue is anticipation or flinch (pushing down/forward).

I will often do dry fire practice at the firing line with centerfire guns, which helps a lot more. 10 dry fire shots until I can see that the sights don't budge, then 3 rounds into the gun and assess.

Also, I keep a copy of this printed out in my range bag to keep as reference. (I don't actually print this out to shoot at; my club provides targets and I just compare them against each other)

72fc4f89dc6dcd091071f062a65841d5.jpg
In my years of handgunning, coming from people who used this as a training tool, Ive abandoned it entirely. Ive taken people who did anything you shouldnt regarding handgun marksmanship, fixed their stance and grip and occasionally finger position on a trigger depending on the gun, and it alleviates everything so long as they memorize it and repeat it to the point its habitual.

Latest posts

Top Bottom