How effective are .22lr training pistols for gaining skill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Colt ACE .22LR and a Gubmint Model .45 ACP are indiscernable in recoil, trigger reset, sight picture and feel.

The ACE was designed to allow troops to train with .22LR.

I have had an ACE in one hand and .45 in the other. Not knowing which is which, firing simultaneously, could not tell them apart.

To answer the OP.

Yes, absolutely.
Trigger time is trigger time
100 percent agree. Jerry is a machine, he's a machine because of the mucho time spent , along with excellent hand eye coordination .

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Training is simply conditioning the mind and body. What aids used during aren’t as much importance as what one sets out to accomplish.
If it’s training it’s probably good
If it’s just masturbational noise making well, that’s usually just for fun.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been taught that the way to get rid of flinches and anticipation is to dryfire until muscle memory overcomes the flinch.
Could a .22 provide a half-way point between dryfire and full recoil that might help confirm the effect of training and build confidence in those instances?
Twenty Two pistols or Revolvers are perfect for the uninformed learning all aspects of the firearm as a tool.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the widow lady out shooting this morning. She was surprised that she enjoyed it so much. She wants to go again. I started her out on an old H&R .22 revolver and then moved to the .38 spl. I sold her. She did really well. She doesn't have much strength and has arthritis in her hands. After firing the .22 her hands were too tired to be able to shoot the .38 spl. double action. Next time I take her out I'm going to have her try the .38 double action first. If she can't shoot it double action, I'm going to look at maybe a Sheild EZ .380 or small Beretta with the flip up barrel. Clearing malfunctions in semi-autos creates another problem with her weak hand strength. Her buget is another problem on buying another gun.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just having a little fun here, been pondering this topic. Post your opinions… as title says; how effective are 22lr “training” pistols?

I’m on the fence about it. I do believe my .22 pistols helped me hone in on trigger reset and sight picture. But it’s nothing like actually shooting centerfire. Hell I feel like Jerry Miculek with my G44! Haha! Rapid fire ringing steel… till I grab a 9mm or .45 and remember I still actually suck.

I love my .22 pistols for introducing new shooters, and for cheap fun. However, I don’t feel they come close to the quality of beneficial practice I get when shooting actual centerfire
Are you me?

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great to use for trainers.. All my kids learned on a single action .22 revolver to start and a single shot .22 rifle. Very controlled and not loud enough to scare a beginner shooter. Mine all moved up with no issues when the time was right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom