How hard is it to build an AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should be able to build an AR-15 for around $600 ....... just depends on what you want on it ......... can go as high as $1K. AR-10's will take more of your cash ....... I always check Midway for component prices ..... as a starting reference ......

AR-SHOOTER29

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I have built several over the years and it is very easy. The best part is you know what everything does when you are done. It is worth the little effort.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked into building a RRA, and it turned out to cost somewhat less to let them build it. If you really lean towards some customization, go for it. That's why they call it the "Rifleman's Barbie". LOL.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I have built several over the years and it is very easy. The best part is you know what everything does when you are done. It is worth the little effort.

+10000

What is cool is, when your AR goes "click" at the range, instead of going back to your truck, calling it a day, and shipping your rifle off for 9 weeks of more to get a warranty repair, you can usually fix it yourself in about a min, or less.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can usually build a lower for about $150-$200 if you go with a stripped lower, parts kit, and m4 style collapsible stock. It can get more expensive depending on the parts kit / trigger assembly you buy or buttstock.

Typically uppers will run you about $350+ depending on configuration / brand, ect.

For my build, I went with a Loki stripped lower that I bought in a group buy for $89, a parts kit from Cold Hand Arms for about $50, and a M4 6 position stock for $42. Hopefully if the Loki upper group buy goes through, I'll have a 16" upper for either $296 or $346 depending on the model I decide to go with. I bought a spikes tactical mil-spec BCG from Joe Bob's that was on special, with a forum discount, and free shipping for $110 and a charging handle for $14.

That will make my build come out to $601 or $651.

I could have built it for less if I went with a commercial spec M6 stock for $25, an Aero Precision stripped lower receiver / Spikes Tactical AIM surplus special stripped receiver for about $40-$69, and a DTI / Delton complete upper with BCG for about $340. It would put me in the $500 range, but I didn't mind spending a little more getting a loki upper and lower to support a local company and also they make great stuff and could be charging about $100 more for their uppers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom