how long of a wait between hunts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went coyote hunting yesterday, took the wrong rifle, I should have taken the AR, but took the Remington 700 .308 instead, if I had taken the AR I probably could have shot both coyotes that I called in, but unfortunatly I was only able to get one.
Anyway, I am wondering, how long does one have to wait, or how long should one wait from the day you kill a coyote to the next time you go out to call them? Do you need to let the surviving dogs have a couple days to calm down and forget what happened, or can you just keep going out and trying?

I don't have all that much space to do the hunting on, (80 acres) so I can't really move to several different spots if one doesn't work.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually give a spot a couple weeks after I've called it. If I have shot one there, I may give it a rest and wait 3 or 4 weeks. It doesn't take long for coyotes to realize a coyote isn't defending his hunting grounds anymore and will move in if there is food.

When you go back out, set up in a different spot since one got away. It will now be a little smarter and more suspicious...call from a different spot and use a different sound.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a lot of luck using distressed pup sounds on the places that I tend to call a bit too much.

I typically try to wait 1 month between calling a particular spot.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't take long for coyotes to realize a coyote isn't defending his hunting grounds anymore and will move in if there is food.

I think this is the real issue. Knowing that you can't punish a dog for something that occurred more than about 15 minutes ago cuz they won't remember why they're being punished, I think its more of a territory thing than a memory thing.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked a guy in person today that does some coyote hunting about every weekend this very question. He said that he would only wait about a week to 2 weeks before going out again, and he said I should think about getting another caller with more calls programed in. He said his caller has about 80 different calls, but also costs around $500. I have 5 different calls with mine, and mine cost about 60 to 70. \\

I may try to go out again on Sunday eve, that would be one week, If I don't see anything I'll probably wait another week or 2.

Hampton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the distressed pup call good when pups are no longer pups? I believe most pups are born in April. I have also heard if a female is killed and left laying it throws other females into heat to keep the pack strong???? Makes sense, so I guess you could have pups year round?

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are certain times of year I kill more coyotes off of vocalizations than distress. Coyotes are territorial and will respond to a call for several different reasons. Hunger, curiosity, paternal instinct, looking for a mate, or maybe looking for a fight.
If I was going to call an area again I would do a lot of what was said above.Set in a different spot if possible. Start with a non aggressive howl. Wait a few minutes and try a coyote or pup distress.
Good luck!

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom