How many of you guys shop online regularly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I much prefer the premium bathroom toilet tissues, like Scented Charmin Butt-ery-Soft to the more institutional bathroom wipes like Aldi's "Rough 'N Ready" Brand. I have read on other forums, however, that it does a fine job of polishing feed ramps, removing built-up carbon and lead deposits, and even removing old finishes...even bluing and cerakote. I'd avoid using it on a Titanium Cylinder however, as it is likely to remove the protective finish.

Other than that, it is well known to be quite thin.
"Rough 'N Ready" LOL You always make me laugh Joel.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used Northern for a long time, then suddenly it was so "dusty" (paper fuzz/dust) that it just became too much to deal with. Tried it again months later and it was still the same.

We've used Charmin for years now. Gotta say, the softness will spoil ya.
:drunk2:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe I lived long enough to see gentlemanly discussion of toilet paper on this site lmao

Good thing then that you aren't on RV forums. That topic gets discussed fairly regularly because RV's sewer systems (black water holding tank) need toilet paper that breaks down fairly quickly. Charmin is NOT a good one for RV's.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing then that you aren't on RV forums. That topic gets discussed fairly regularly because RV's sewer systems (black water holding tank) need toilet paper that breaks down fairly quickly. Charmin is NOT a good one for RV's.
Northern should be near the top of the list then.

I've made anti-flat stop-leak for tractor and pull-type brushhog tires by dissolving Northern toilet paper in anti-freeze. It actually turns into a thin gel that you can install with a syringe (after removing the valve core), then just air up the tire. Worked great for me.

Had a lot of bois' de arc trees/sprouts in one area of the farm...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Northern should be near the top of the list then.

I've made anti-flat stop-leak for tractor and pull-type brushhog tires by dissolving Northern toilet paper in anti-freeze. It actually turns into a thin gel that you can install with a syringe (after removing the valve core), then just air up the tire. Worked great for me.

Had a lot of bois' de arc trees/sprouts in one area of the farm...

Yeah. Bois d'arc trees are something else. The fence posts made from them last a heck of a long time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I fought my wife on this issue. RV paper is a little more expensive than the stuff you buy in the grocery store. We were getting ready to buy some in Alamosa Co this summer when a guy walked by and informed us that XXX brand was cheaper and broke down just as good. Been using it for years he said.
So against my wishes we bought a 24 pack or whatever it came in. During our last two weeks there we used it with the proper chemicals to use in the black tank.
We had to leave early to manage a family member that fell ill, but were having issues with the black tank showing full all the time even after dumping.
I fully understand how those sensors work and why they lie on occasion.
Left the dump valve open before leaving for about an hour to clear it out stopping twice on the way home to camp. Still showing mostly full.
Wife went to her moms side and I was left to empty and clean out the RV.
Went to the COE dump station locally and only got a sludge to dribble. Left the hose hooked up and did some short fast starts and stops with the truck to break the dam of toilet paper and allow it to drain, finally getting nothing but Tp that didn’t break down.
We will never use anything but RV paper in the future.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which one of you RV guys is this?
Cousin Eddie.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fought my wife on this issue. RV paper is a little more expensive than the stuff you buy in the grocery store. We were getting ready to buy some in Alamosa Co this summer when a guy walked by and informed us that XXX brand was cheaper and broke down just as good. Been using it for years he said.
So against my wishes we bought a 24 pack or whatever it came in. During our last two weeks there we used it with the proper chemicals to use in the black tank.
We had to leave early to manage a family member that fell ill, but were having issues with the black tank showing full all the time even after dumping.
I fully understand how those sensors work and why they lie on occasion.
Left the dump valve open before leaving for about an hour to clear it out stopping twice on the way home to camp. Still showing mostly full.
Wife went to her moms side and I was left to empty and clean out the RV.
Went to the COE dump station locally and only got a sludge to dribble. Left the hose hooked up and did some short fast starts and stops with the truck to break the dam of toilet paper and allow it to drain, finally getting nothing but Tp that didn’t break down.
We will never use anything but RV paper in the future.

We initially went with Angel Soft, since it was cheaper than the RV "specialty" paper. When flushing my black tank, I always have about a 6" clear plastic piece in line on the sewer pipe so I can see what is going through. With the Angel Soft, even after several minutes of flushing, I could still see little bits of paper going by. Changed to a "septic safe" Scott's product and I don't see the little bits of paper any more.

I should explain flushing. There is a separate line that goes to a spray nozzle in the end of the black tank away from the drain, and one hooks up a hose to a hydrant and runs water through that system. I let it spray with the sewer line open for about 5 minutes, then I close the drain valve for about 2 1/2 minutes, then reopen the valve for 2 1/2 minutes. With the Angel Soft, I had to do the close/open cycle as much as 2 or 3 times before deciding it was enough. With the Scotts, I do one close/open cycle and are done.

Picture below. White hose going in is fresh water for the RV. Black hose going in is the flush line. I always use two different hoses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom