How much grain should I use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

X Army MP

It looks like I can't shoot at my buddies 160 acre lot this weekend. So I'll have to settle for 200 yards at Tin Star Shooting Range in Weatherford. I just bought a Savage 10fp .308 how much grain should I use for only 200 yards? Sorry for the dumb question but I'm only familiar with M4/203 and M249.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the cheapest most common ammo will be 147-150 grain fmj either mil surplus or commercial.
the 165-168 stuff will probably be more accurate out of that savage especially past 300 yards.
but alot more expensive too.

in another thread Hackerf15e mentioned www.freedommunitions.com
may have to give them a try prices seemed pretty decent if the freight don't kill ya.

X

X Army MP

Just an update...I've settled on 180grain. It's more expensive but I need all the knock down power I can get untill my accuracy comes back to me.

I have TBI, PTSD, and no regrets.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an update...I've settled on 180grain. It's more expensive but I need all the knock down power I can get untill my accuracy comes back to me.

I have TBI, PTSD, and no regrets.

I don't get it.

How will a miss with a big bullet that misses the target have more "knock down power" than a smaller bullet that misses the target also?

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have a 10fp in .308 and 180 grain bullets are wildly inaccurate in my rifle.
With the 168's, it's less than MOA all Day long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom