How often to clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of those questions like asking opinions on how often to change the oil in a vehicle --- lots of opinions!

Ok, here's how I do it. Usually just a quick clean and lube after a range session of +/- 200 rounds. After a couple of range sessions, I'll do a more detailed cleaning. May not be PC, but it works for me. My opinion is that frequent cleaning is not a bad thing -- it keeps you more familiar with each of your weapons, especially if you rotate various brands/types.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I break 'em down, run a patch through 'em and lube 'em up every few years. ;)

I do need to clean my carry gun, it's been a year or so. ;)

<edit> I will add, I agree, it's not a bad thing to clean them more frequently, but I definitely don't think it's 100% necessary. Our weapons are in a lot less caustic conditions than alot of soldiers and cowboys in years past whom depended on them a lot more, and I don't believe they broke them down and did a thorough cleaning on them every day, or even every few days.

I could be wrong... I WOULD be interested to know, just out of curiosity, for those of you who served in the military in combat operations, how often did you do a thorough breakdown and cleaning of your weapon, vs just running a patch through and adding some oil? Too bad we probably don't have any WWII vets here who could give us an opinion on the olden days', their weapons and the conditions they fought in and how much maintenance they did.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most semi-auto handguns will run fine somewhat dirty, but they won't run fine if they are dry. So at the least, keep it lightly lubed. Having said that, I clean my guns after shooting; every time. If light use, a light cleaning is in store. Wipe down the feed ramp. Clean around and under extractor. Make sure chamber is free of crud. Swab out the barrel. Apply fresh lube. Doesn't take but 10 mins to get it clean and lubed to be back in business. After say 300-400 rounds, I'll do a more detailed job.

Avoid using Dremels or any power tools unless you are a gunsmith. Use Q-tips, a stiff nylon brush, the proper rods, jags, and patch holders. Use a good solvent and light oil. I like Breakfree CLP as a multi-purpose product and Hoppes #9 as a solvent, and EWG Slip 2000 as a light gun grease. After cleaning, I tend to use light grease if it slides, oil if it rotates. Heavy grease and a heavy oil in cold weather is bad. NO grease or oil in any weather is bad.

Read the manual. Its sometimes has important things in it. Like in the one for the Kimber Micro my wife bought, where it says to be careful and NOT manipulate the manual safety when the grip's are removed for cleaning so as NOT to launch the teeny-tiny little spring into never-never land.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in the military we had to clean and inspect after every use.

I really don’t think it was required for it to be functional. I mean, when they go through the bid process how many rounds are they supposed to fire before malfunction or breakage before the contract is approved?

I think the “every time you shoot you clean” requirement is to enhance training. How many personnel who do not carry firearms on a daily basis remember how to disassemble/reassemble clean and maintain from one session to the next? I can see combat troops performing regular cleaning and inspection because their lives depend on them. Lots of daily use, high round count, abuse and breakage. Clerks and admin personnel not so much.

I have guns I use at the matches that don’t get regular cleaning. I inspect them before a match and if I find something that needs attention, I take care of it.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same as druryj, after every use I do a light cleaning and lube. CLP is all I use though, figure if it was good enough for the military its good enough for me. After cleaning I use my finger to rub clp on all contact surfaces. Once I reassemble I run it through several function checks and wipe off any excess that is forced out.

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a lot and every one of my guns is dirty. I will clean a gun when it has a function problem. My carry guns are the only ones even remotely clean and probably everyone here would say they are filthy. They go bang every time I pull the trigger though.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I clean mine after every shoot. I went for a period of maybe 10-15 years that I just wasn't very interested in shooting, and they sat in the safe. I decided to take all of them out and clean and oil them, and dreaded seeing some rust but didn't. Having said that, it's probably a good idea to clean them every couple or three years even if they haven't been shot, but chances are unless they are stored in rough conditions it's probably not necessary.

I guess my advice would be, clean them right after shooting and again right before they start to rust. LOL!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I shoot one single shot - I clean!

If I shoot 500 rounds - I clean!

The bores of ALL my guns are spotless, and so are the actions/internal workings of each and every gun.

I cannot and will not tolerate a gun failure at any time, and by keeping each and every gun CLEAN, I can eliminate any and all failures that can be caused by a dirty firearm. And by keeping everything clean, I can visually inspect every part of a gun for excessive wear, and if I see something that needs further attention, I can repair or replace anything worn or damaged.

Overkill? Maybe! But at least I won't have to worry about any issues at the most inopertune time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom