How to build an AK: Cheapskate edition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another tip, when head spacing, you need a snug fit with the go gauge and you should be able to apply 44lbs of pressure without the bolt carrier closing on a nogo. I didn't know that when I headspaced and after test firing, it settled enough to swallow the no go. Now that I've adjusted the headspace properly, I have the joy of reaming out the barrel pin hole and making a custom barrel pin.

Also, don't force it or let the bolt close under spring pressure on a gauge.

Hopefully someone can learn from my myriad mistakes on this journey!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anyone generosity in helping build an ak74 or renting the tools and know how...Ar's are easy, ak should be easier, but I have never done one.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone generosity in helping build an ak74 or renting the tools and know how...Ar's are easy, ak should be easier, but I have never done one.
AR's are simple and very easy to build but the AK's are much harder. Especially if you have to demill the AK kit. For instance, the barrel on an AR just slips into the receiver and you screw the barrel nut on, the AK you have to press it out/in and that's best done with a 12 ton press. Riveting a AK can also be a *****. You need way more tools to build the AK.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awesome-ness, I have been really looking at getting the tooling together to start doing some parts kit builds. How did you like the tothtooling?
The toth tools were nice, but pricey. I think the only one I used was the front trunnion bolt cutter jaws, and I made a set with a bench grinder in about a half hour that worked just as good. I wouldn't recommend doing this build without a press, it just makes life way easier.

I still need to blast and parkerize the thing, but I finally got everything headspaced properly and functioning smoothly.

Something I had trouble with, the Tapco G2 kit has issues in the Nodak receivers that can cause double taps. I had to do these modifications to get it functioning safely and smoothly:

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-ak/ak-trigger-tapco/page-ak-trigger-tapco.shtml

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom